Security Installer Community

Galaxy 0001 Missing battery

Litch90

I've had two 7AH batteries go flat in my panel within the space of a week.

Checked voltage I get 13volt at battery terminals on PCB. Both batteries were a decent brand YUASA.

I have set my panel up for fault override, but ideally I need to find a solution to my problem..

So it seems like the panel is somehow gutting brand new batteries is that not usually a faulty PCB?

Whats your diagnosis?

Thank you gents

Just now, james.wilson said:

whats the charging voltage?

13.4 VDC was what i recorded james

1 minute ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Use your meter to check the battery is being charged, voltage on the leads isn't checking much.

Lets say its not being charged, there is no escaping it, its a new panel/transfromer is it? 

1 minute ago, james.wilson said:

what galaxy?

doubt its the tx nothing would work. I assume the batt fuse is ok?

g2-12 panel, yeah continuity on the fuse fine. 

Its like the batteries aren't being charged, they both show as flat on ACT tester.

Yep if the charging rate is low unless you are capable of diagnosing the issue with the charging circuit. Most installers would replace and wouldn't get involved with component level stuff.

If there's voltage then the battery fuse will be fine?

ACT tester could be faulty, batteries could be a faulty batch, I would definitely be sure to test everything before replacing the panel.

To the batteries charge and then pass on another panel? You have proven the battery and the tester then

3 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Yep if the charging rate is low unless you are capable of diagnosing the issue with the charging circuit. Most installers would replace and wouldn't get involved with component level stuff.

ACT tester could be faulty, batteries could be a faulty batch, I would definitely be sure to test everything before replacing the panel.

To the batteries charge and then pass on another panel? You have proven the battery and the tester then

1 minute ago, al-yeti said:

Common on the g2-12 it seems 

When did you get the panel?

let's say late on in 2015.. Version 1.56 which i think was around 15-2016. Going to try one more battery on it tomorrow brand new

7 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

For the price of the G2-12 its probably just worth maybe replacing you reckon? picked it up for a steal.. about 30 pounds off ebay.

1 minute ago, datadiffusion said:

Was it new?

Was it sold as new?

Rest assured it was spotless fully boxed when I received it.. complete wit u'gide resistors (the usual bundle)

No marks or evidence of having been previously used.. If it was they did a convincing job of making it look brand new

2 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

where did you get the yuasa?

It fell onto the back of my car ..

not purchased directly from a store.. maybe this next one I will ;)

1 minute ago, datadiffusion said:

Well, the usual trick would be buy new, swap pcb only, then sell new box with faulty pcb...

I mean I'm not ruling that out at all.. Will try a few more batteries before I resort to new PCB

So my brand new YUASA (less than 24 hours old) has gone completely flat.. Panel has absolutely engulfed three batteries.

Is this common on the G2? I'm now completely vigilant about buying another G2.. this was allegedly new when I bought it off eBay.

Seller had great selling history also.

Is my next move to buy a new panel? Cant see anything I can physically do to rectify this charging issue.

-_-

2 minutes ago, abbz said:

You have got 240v going to panel and not just running it off battery. 

Not that much of an amateur haha.. I've got it running on both.. AC & battery has been plugged onto board.. Three YUASA's have completely discharged.

On 1 November 2016 at 9:54 PM, james.wilson said:

where did you get the yuasa?

Bought a new one by the book brand new.. no hooky stuff. Same result, battery completely discharged. Thoughts? New panel?

No, it's not common. I've dealt with 100's of G2's and only seen damage due to lightning and an installers screwdriver spinning across the pcb and ripping some passives off near the voltage regulator (big heatsink).

1 hour ago, GalaxyGuy said:

No, it's not common. I've dealt with 100's of G2's and only seen damage due to lightning and an installers screwdriver spinning across the pcb and ripping some passives off near the voltage regulator (big heatsink).

So where do I go from here do you think? New PCB?

If you've checked all three fuses and your battery leads are connected correctly to the pcb. If your panel doesn't die when you pull the mains fuse with a fresh battery connected, then certainly it's your main board. On the plus side, you've got some spare batteries now!  I managed to do the same to a G2 by connecting the battery the wrong way around.

Regards

yes but mr Galaxy how many have you installed recently?

i have a couple here with same issue, its pcb , bin it , buy a g2-20 while your at it 

is your system wired or wireless or both?