Security Installer Community

Which 16 alarm ohm speaker is the best?

CR Alarms

Hi all I install a few alarm systems here and there and was wondering what the best internal sounder to use is? The equipment I use is mainly scantronic with aritech or risco pirs, The bellboxes I use are either flashguards or the novagard 2. What internal speaker should I use though? I was thinking of using the elmdene or the cqr soint 1 but unsure. The panels I use need at least one 16 ohm speaker connected. So what 16 ohm internal speaker would be the loudest and most reliable to use? cheers

Sorry just so I get this right, whichever 16 ohm speaker I use whether its elmdene,CQR or any 16 ohm speaker the alarm volume decibels will be exactly same and the wattage has no relevance whatsoever, The speaker will be as loud as what ever the panel amplifier drives through it?. So my job is to just make sure I match the impedance with the panel in my case 16 ohm. thanks

That's right no noticeable difference, If you want something deafening loud then use an internal sounder as well as the speaker. The speaker is really there for entry exit noise, chime and warning noises, depending on the panel some will make the internal alarm sound but not to the extent of making your ears bleed 

• 3 weeks later...

Other old lags may laugh, but despite the fact we use Siemens DTs, Elmdene flush contacts, insist in copper cable, when it comes to speaker we use...

...Lynteck

http://www.lynteck.co.uk/products/intruder/sounders/LY07-009-37.php

They are very flat, large enough to cover old sounder holes (with plenty of screw holes) and because they are so small, the actual

speaker element is the sort of 'potted' type you get in a mobile phone, with a thick black cone and much better than the usual mylar ones.

Customers like them as they don't look like something from a cold war era Gardiner catalogue and best of all are matte so take paint well...

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

6 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

Other old lags may laugh, but despite the fact we use Siemens DTs, Elmdene flush contacts, insist in copper cable, when it comes to speaker we use...

...Lynteck

http://www.lynteck.co.uk/products/intruder/sounders/LY07-009-37.php

They are very flat, large enough to cover old sounder holes (with plenty of screw holes) and because they are so small, the actual

speaker element is the sort of 'potted' type you get in a mobile phone, with a thick black cone and much better than the usual mylar ones.

Customers like them as they don't look like something from a cold war era Gardiner catalogue and best of all are matte so take paint well...

Tidy looking unit, what's the cost roughly?

Pricing is in public being Lynteck so I see no issue with naming...

http://cpc.farnell.com/lynteck/ly07-009-37/extension-speaker/dp/SR04341?ost=lynteck+speaker&selectedCategoryId=&categoryNameResp=All%2BCategories&searchView=table&iscrfnonsku=false

Not as cheap as you'd expect tbh, although often half price if you buy ten with a 'tat mag code'.

There is an otherwise empty PCB inside; they also do a siren version but I suspect their supplier also does tampered.

(I should have said all my installations are done to Grade 2/2X so lack of tamper not an issue)

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I liked the MASSIVE gardtec speakers & internal sab's

If fact stuff keeps changing & getting worse, think dopey sounders with all the fixing points with little discs that spin around....

I love hunting high & low in garden in the pi$$ing rain to find the ones thats pinged off

• Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God

I found a BNIB massive Gardtec speaker when I cleared out the old stores. I'd brought it from Bath where I would have kept, er, spare like

from van stock working for the firm in the late 90s.

It then sat in the new stores for 12 months. It then moved to my (and hopefully this is my last move ever) new home workshop / stores.

Finally fitted it in a barn alarm job last month :) 

Edited by datadiffusion

14 hours ago, Danny May said:

They look good, but horrible to

imstall... the lids are flimsy! 

Have you tried them recently?  We strengthened the lid clips and slots after negative feedback around 12 mths ago so you should see an improvement.

Edited by spike27

Hi all. Yes I was just messing about the masterblaster way too overkill for a domestic house I think:D. I had a play around with the internal speakers trying out different brands and out of all them the elmdene speaker was definitely the loudest by a long shot, So elmdene speakers it is for me. The sonit1 speaker volume was very unsatisfactory it wouldn't even scare away a cat let alone the burglar he would probably just laugh at it and carry on robbing the house,however when I tried the elmdene speaker that just about took my ears off I wouldn't want to be in the same room as it, very good sound distribution around the house. Thanks.

Edited by CR Alarms

• 2 months later...