Security Installer Community

Pyronix Homecontrol+ vs Visonic Powermax vs Texecom

1animal1

8 hours ago, norman said:

Seems Dick is still angry...

Hates it so much he left the unhelpful forum months ago, vowing never to log in, read every thread, nor post...

...HANG ON A MINUTE!!

6 hours ago, norman said:

I believe they are extra, I'm personally not a fan of ceiling mounted PIR's (on a bracket) and prefer them in the corner as they were intended.

Agreed look fooking gash and the sign of the 199 brigade when used only to make life easier imho

• Upvote 2

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Huh?

Just referring to something Norman had said about mounting without brackets - I assume a relative confined space like a hallway would require a slight mount on the coving to position the pir downwards?

If you know what you are doing, maybe try researching port forwarding for your router.

The main benefit of a professional installer is the option of "proper" monitoring, the connection is polled and any issues are sent to keyholders.

Your app connection is only as good as your broadband, no phone line and you have a bells only system with no indication that connection has been lost.

Not a lot of people realise this when they look at DIY and apps.

Yup I know what you mean re port forwarding - not ideal but a work around until it's worth running V4 I imagine.

I've always been conscious that the app will only be as reliable as my broadband which you can expect to drop out on occasion (daily, weekly, hourly! etc) - Save from paying for proper monitoring (I'm not looking for that level in all honesty) i think we'll be ok - might actually grab a cheapo fob from the bay and give it to my youngish retired neighbour. 

I can't thank you enough for helping me with this - I am now trying to put the right package together to get me what i need at a reasonable cost (my installer mate doesn't deal with Texecom or a supplier that sells them). Wish me luck!

Edited by 1animal1

They are usually OK as normal in a hallway, takes a little more movement usually but fine in most cases. 

Have a look on Security Warehouse for texecom stuff. 

• Upvote 1

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Ok main system bought - Elite 24-w Live, 3x QD-W PIR's (I'll be selling 2 of these in favour of wired, quads for LV room, Kitchen, Hall and landing, then DT for garage yes?), 1X contact-w (bought 2 more from Ebay @ £23 each), 2x smartkeys and a 3-W backplate which i'll also be selling in favour of the X range - unless i can get an X cover to fit this for the rear of the property. Next to buy is X-BE siren and cover, PC lead TBC depending on if i buy LAN or WIFI module, haven't found enough on Wifi module to discount it yet...considering LAN id more than double the cost. Premier Elite pad, just deciding on decore (it's with the wife!) - and i think I'll be needing some copper wire, amount TBC

3 hours ago, 1animal1 said:

I assume a relative confined space like a hallway would require a slight mount on the coving to position the pir downwards?

Never angle PIR's downwards they are all designed to be mounted perpendicular to the floor

Yup I know what you mean re port forwarding - not ideal but a work around until it's worth running V4 I imagine.

This is no work around. Average alarm monkeys seem to struggle with port forwarding, they are trying to make it easier by using uPnP. Therefore, Texe hope to reduce the hours of technical support time.

I've always been conscious that the app will only be as reliable as my broadband which you can expect to drop out on occasion (daily, weekly, hourly! etc) - Save from paying for proper monitoring (I'm not looking for that level in all honesty)

It's not service downtime you need to worry about, it's attack downtime.

2 hours ago, 1animal1 said:

2x smartkeys 

Wouldn't have bothered they look nice but another gimmick IMO

TBC depending on if i buy LAN or WIFI module,

LAN if you can wire it, there is a reason the WiFi is half the price.

i think I'll be needing some copper wire, amount TBC

Pure copper none of this CCA rubbish. Must be marked up as Type 2 now IIRC.

43 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Never angle PIR's downwards they are all designed to be mounted perpendicular to the floor

Noted :)

This is no work around. Average alarm monkeys seem to struggle with port forwarding, they are trying to make it easier by using uPnP. Therefore, Texe hope to reduce the hours of technical support time.

I came across port forwarding a few years ago back, doesn't it circumnavigate the routers own security? 

It's not service downtime you need to worry about, it's attack downtime.

How many houses actually have full service like this on average? Is it common or is it a nice to have for the middle/upper classes - I can't honestly ever seeing me needing this unless i have something i really want to protect as the way I see it, by the time they are in and the monitor has gauged that it is a real alarm and called the Police - they'll be gone

Wouldn't have bothered they look nice but another gimmick IMO

If you knew my missus you'd understand that one ;)

LAN if you can wire it, there is a reason the WiFi is half the price.

Both are wired via Wintex aren't they? and plug into the main board.... Is the Wifi cheaper due to bigger risk of drops outs linked to the quality of the Texecom product?

Pure copper none of this CCA rubbish. Must be marked up as Type 2 now IIRC.

Noted - 6 or 8 core for the remote panel? 

I've also called Texecom - the W plate is not compatible with the X cover - presumed that'd be the case but thought i'd check as they look similar on the online pictures

I came across port forwarding a few years ago back, doesn't it circumnavigate the routers own security? 

You can't have a inbound service through the firewall without an open port. Be it

How many houses actually have full service like this on average? Is it common or is it a nice to have for the middle/upper classes - I can't honestly ever seeing me needing this unless i have something i really want to protect as the way I see it, by the time they are in and the monitor has gauged that it is a real alarm and called the Police - they'll be gone

Yep, possibly the intruders may have gone if you are thinking of a Police calling system, in a way it's done it's job.

You can have monitoring without Police response, the security with monitoring is in the fact the site is polled regularly.

If someone cut your phone line, for example, the monitoring station can alert you. You can then action appropriately yourself.

Both are wired via Wintex aren't they? and plug into the main board.... Is the Wifi cheaper due to bigger risk of drops outs linked to the quality of the Texecom product?

They are Com Port modules and plug on.

Cheaper components.

Yes you are more likely for drop outs and it's another local attack point.

6 or 8 core for the remote panel? 

I'd use 8 cored cable as standard, spares and reducing voltage drop. You only require four cores for keypads.

Thanks six, very much appreciated.

Next step I think will be to set it all out and do a table install/program,  at least for the wireless stuff.... Also fell a bit lucky in not having to rip the newly laid carpets up. Going to use the feeds in place to my old board in the garage as long as the continuity tests come up OK. Save a bit of hassle.