Security Installer Community

Pyronix Homecontrol+ vs Visonic Powermax vs Texecom

1animal1

:lol:

I've just been reading up on all sorts of things regards wireless systems, 2 way protocols, hacking ability - seems a lot easier than I would have thought! The Powermax isn't rated very highly at all in this respect. Probably why everything is geared towards their Power master now.... The Pyronix seems to get better reviews. 

So what are the other alternatives? 

I currently have a wired system which requires a new board - hence the thought process to replace. I'm not particularly worried about a wired system as half the cabling is in, where I'd like it to go - wireless was a new thought process as I'd assumed it would be better in the current era. I also have issues with 2 door contacts which cannot be fitted without  a visible cable run (2 inaccessible sealed roof voids). A hybrid system might fit the bill as i would much prefer my bell box to be wired, but how many work with apps, the 2 don't seem to go hand in hand ... What is important is smart integration, app control in it's most basic form... or a full home automation component.

Quite a simple shopping list really B))

3 hours ago, norman said:

A Timex and a Patek Philippe both tell the time so in that essence they do nothing differently.

so you drive a dacia sandero? or a duster?

that's the car and 4x4 answer sorted who needs anything else

• Upvote 1

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I do love these reports that remove a fundamental point, the law of averages! I must admit though, this is pretty accurate.:lol:

So do we know what a paupers Veyron looks like in the alarm world? 

I gather looking at the costs - Texecom fall into the same bracket as Pyro and Viso's

Edited by 1animal1

Would say the Texecom kit would be slightly more expensive, although in my opinion the Texecom APP is lacking.

As you rightly point out, it's all about the law of adverages... as James points out this industry is does suffer from cost being the overriding factor where the home owners phone is worth more than they are prepaired to spend on an alarm system to protect all of their worldly possessions.

• Upvote 1

I must admit the Texecom wired looks like a lot of kit for the money - there's even a hybrid offering which will help with my door contacts. 

Completely understand where you are coming from regards cost as a one off - My situation is different in that the alarm is the icing on the cake, a hidden to deterrent if you will to add to my CCTV, dogs and other security measures (that lot costs a lot more than my phone). I am of the mind you will never stop an intruder who has the will to burgle - but i will make it as hard as possible for them! 

The opposite argument is the high tech burglar who are always going to be evolving over time - where do you stop? I personally haven't any Rembrandt's lurking around the hallway and any jewelry is locked within a secret compartment, inside a bolted down safe. 

Do you think the lines are blurred between what a consumer wants versus that of a commercial customer? 

18 hours ago, norman said:

Agree, and this will be a major stumbling block to anyone trying to 'DIY it. However, I'm not sure it will explode if you don't set that combination of dip switches within a month of installation, but I know it can get very hot, and several have caught fire; thankfully they have been in installations that included Nest Sprinkler, as it happens.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

1 hour ago, 1animal1 said:

The opposite argument is the high tech burglar who are always going to be evolving over time - where do you stop? I personally haven't any Rembrandt's lurking around the hallway and any jewelry is locked within a secret compartment, inside a bolted down safe. 

Nope, most burglaries are drug fuelled and opportunist. They will stay that way for ever, until the day an alarm-busting 'app' is released that can be used by pressing one button by the typical knuckle-grazing crim (and for the record it would not be worth any hacker or developer releasing such an app to the great unwashed, even if they could make it work). The typical burglar would not have the knowledge nor inclination to defeat even a 1980s one zone, keyswitch system

Hence my usual line that CCTV is no defence at all. Police are unlikely to be interested, criminals are often of the attitude that they don't care about getting caught, a couple of hours in the nick at worst

and it just gets added to the long list they are already on probation for.

CCTV will only confirm that the window is smashed and the TV is missing. You will find this out from coming home and seeing it with your own eyes. An alarm will alert you to the fact at the exact moment (if installed correctly)

and may add to the mix of uncertainty for the criminal with sirens going etc... A decent looking (i.e. not plain white from Newlec) bellbox is 100% more a deterrent than CCTV IMHO.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

1 minute ago, datadiffusion said:

Nope, most burglaries are drug fuelled and opportunist. The typical burglar would not have the knowledge nor inclination to defeat even a 1980s one zone, keyswitch system

Hence my usual line that CCTV is no defence at all. Police are unlikely to be interested, criminals are often of the attitude that they don't care about getting caught, a couple of hours in the nick at worst

and it just gets added to the long list they are already on probation for.

CCTV will only confirm that the window is smashed and the TV is missing. You will find this out from coming home and seeing it with your own eyes. An alarm will alert you to the fact at the exact moment (if installed correctly)

and may add to the mix of uncertainty for the criminal with sirens going etc... A decent looking (i.e. not plain white from Newlec) bellbox is 100% more a deterrent than CCTV IMHO.

Agreed..