Security Installer Community

Pyronix Homecontrol+ vs Visonic Powermax vs Texecom

1animal1

Hi all,

I have been conducting research into a new alarm system and have been swayed by the wireless tech currently available. My ideal is for a system that can be brought together with a NEST system to give me a good grounding for home automation, rather than having several apps for several purposes - however I have so far only found one system in the US that can accommodate, Vivint who i don't think have a UK supplier?

With that i thought it best to stick to a firm that offers a good app solution that looks like it is likely to develop in the future - I have so far narrowed this down to The Pyronix Homecontrol+ and Visonic Powermax systems. I know the Pyronix is more complicated for the average DIY'er, however having studied electrical engineering, worked with home electrics and renovated several homes - i feel i would be able to learn/pick up what is required to fit and program.

Looking into these the Pyronix seems to be by far the most expensive when including the Wifi module, Enforcer homekit 1, 2x additonal PIR's and door contacts, remote keypad along with 2 bell box's (1 dummy) - the build quality seems very good. The Visonic is obviously cheaper and more DIY from what i can see, the door contacts are also a lot bulkier, as are the key fobs - am i right to assume the app functionality isn't as advanced at the Pyronix?

What are peoples opinions on these offerings from a perspective of the equipment & apps? From looking both seem to be free once the initial items are purchased, or are there any underlying costs I've missed in terms of ongoing costs (batteries aside).

One other note is that i can source these from someone i know in the trade - Not wanting to bother him until i have narrowed down my search, as I know he is extremely busy. Would trade cost for either system affect the decision? I'm kind of hoping Pyronix have a higher mark up.

Many thanks

Tim

Edited by sixwheeledbeast

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 1animal1 said:

Thanks for the reply... I had read that by using the wifi module, this wasn't the case? 

It's changed what ever communication device you use..

I would also recommend the Pyronix, I have fitted a few home control and they all work well.

It will not integrate with Nest and it's automation powers are very limited (basic on/off of relays).  

Thanks for confirming Simlec, what is the annual charge? From Googling £36 seems to come up quite a bit....

I've read through the spec on the Pyronix - it looks like the kit needs the Wifi module, bell box housing and optional parts such as the remote pad etc - Am i missing anything? I assume all the batteries including the back up are included. 

Incidentally - I have since found that the Power master range from Visonic is being advertised as revolutionary regarding how it switches frequencies to reduce the chance of signals being blocked - Is there a reason why Visonic are dismissed by the industry and Pyronix is preferred?

Edited by 1animal1

3 hours ago, 1animal1 said:

Thanks for confirming Simlec, what is the annual charge? From Googling £36 seems to come up quite a bit....

I've read through the spec on the Pyronix - it looks like the kit needs the Wifi module, bell box housing and optional parts such as the remote pad etc - Am i missing anything? I assume all the batteries including the back up are included. 

Incidentally - I have since found that the Power master range from Visonic is being advertised as revolutionary regarding how it switches frequencies to reduce the chance of signals being blocked - Is there a reason why Visonic are dismissed by the industry and Pyronix is preferred?

Is power max only option in visonic range?

Does visonicnreport low battery or missing devices? From what I see pyronix doesn't , but then all panels have some issue perhaps

The new range appears to be the Power master which is slightly more expensive than the Pyronix system with the apparent new tech. 

My requirement is pretty basic - simple 4 bed house with integrated garage. Two large dogs spend the day in the kitchen and living room so I need a PIR in the garage, living room for holidays when the dogs are with us, hallway and landing. Door contacts for front and both back doors. I have a full camera system with DVR hardwired through ethernet so not needing camera function just yet. Figure i fit the panel in the hallway then we can set via app when in bed... I'll need several programs for normal daytime setting, holiday mode and bed mode. Set via fob mainly or with tags for the lady who probably won't understand the buttons :o:o 2 boxes, one dummy with LED's like available with the Pyronix dummy, and light panel for the main box in an ideal world. 

From that would i be going wrong with either unit?

i like the idea of just the fobs - the worry is the fobs not offering 3 programs, but then i guess the app can be used where the fobs cannot? 

On another note - how expensive are the PIR's! £40 each... :o different to the £5 jobbies i've fitted in past houses - admittedly wired.

Thanks for all the replies so far. 

I'm not after cheap - i just want the best for my money - I don't want to pay extra if all I'm getting is something trivial. When i sourced my cameras i noticed you can easily spend a fortune and easily end up with rubbish. ;)