Security Installer Community

SSAIB inspection help

Hi everyone..

sorry if if this is not a subject that is allowed on the forum, I am a little nervous s I have an SSAIB inspector coming over tomorrow for my first visit.. 

i have never ever tried to sign up with a governing body before and as I sit here my heart is pounding like mad.. 

i know now they are coming to look at insurance and bits which is all sorted but just wondering what questions they ask?

What do they look at on site visits? 

Do they ask my clients anything?

do they ask me loads of questions?

any help would be amazing..

thanks guys

1 hour ago, lymebayalarms said:

They will always give you recommendations/improvements, nothing to panic about at all. 

A slightly more helpful take on it than mine and 100% true. Hope it went well :)

I applied for NSI Silver not long ago and can only say they were very helpful and were quite pleased with my documentation. The kicker

was that they wouldn't allow me to be approved as a OMB if I didn't give up my NHS contract, which I never will so that's the end of that :(

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

4 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

I applied for NSI Silver not long ago and can only say they were very helpful and were quite pleased with my documentation. The kicker

was that they wouldn't allow me to be approved as a OMB if I didn't give up my NHS contract, which I never will so that's the end of that :(

Not even with a buddy agreement?

Nope. I have a skeleton NHS contract, which was the problem. I didn't want to give it up as they would never hand it out again,

I would not be able to keep up my professional competencies (easily) without it, and it would be a ticket back to work if I was ever

unable to trade or install for whatever reason.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Ok...

so had the inspection.. didn't really go to plan to be honest.. having never applied for a governing body before and learning the trade on my own I should have realised I was in for issues...

installation work and maintenance demo was fine.. nothing to worry on that side...but the paperwork needed changing due to my wording, layout and specific paragraphs that needed to be inserted..

i have had to get a buddy agreement but thanks to a nice company near me They have agreed to be our buddy as it's only me in the company.. (wife now happy we can go on holiday)

i have also been advised to use digital forms to make writing neater but not sure what to use... the only digital forms I have found cost money.. 

also so to use Base as our software... 

the inspector was was really nice tho so thanks everyone for your help... 

I currently have carbon based forms, the old write on the top, give one copy to customer and take one to office. The inspector has mentioned digital forms.. ones we fill out on iPads and it send the copy to both parties.. neater than paper?. I'm just not sure which one is cheap enough to make it worth while

We use Ipads but there are no rules to say you have to, there are many of our customers that dont have a p.c. so we cant email them a copy if we use the ipad, so we have to do it the old fashioned way some of the time anyway.

The person I use has developed the Ipad jobsheets specifically for us, and he has done some more tailored jobsheets for other companies, I think he charged about £600.00 for the initial program and then there is an ongoing charge for upgrades and web charges. If I want something added or changed he doesnt charge any extra though.  

josht.jpg

When its 6 years later and you've spent £700 just as the company goes TU, you'll wish you'd spent the money on something more sustainable TBH.

If you are small, there is no need to spend megabucks; you're using BASE so for forms Word is probably more than adequate at this stage.

However, automation is important if it's just you, but the online forms thing I can't imagine isn't available for free?

Base you can only get once you have passed SSAIB..... options are really limited with the software TBH for start ups. Base certainly has no remote forms or any kind of remote access/admin,

We use electronic forms but there is no requirement for it certification that's for sure, opted for Device Magic in the end.

Still requires office admin to process the paperwork though.

4 minutes ago, lymebayalarms said:

Base you can only get once you have passed SSAIB.....

Nah, they just tell you that. Believe me, they will sell it to anyone, as long as you tell them the magic phrase 'have applied for' or even 'am thinking about' SSAIB/NSI