Security Installer Community

PSU Tasks

The power supply unit (PSU) carries out a number of tasks.

a)    What is the actual value of the regulated supply voltage that it provides to the system?

b)    What would be the influence on that voltage at the detection devices that are powered by that supply if the detectors were to be installed at an extended distance from the control equipment?

a. Ideally 13.69 but that is now 13.75 as most diag cant hit that resolution

b. Ohms law depends on the resistance and the distance. Resistivity is what matters. If the course is up to date id assume you discussed copper vs cca

• Upvote 1

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

3 hours ago, norman said:

My experience is that the majority (maybe being a bit unfair, but certainly a lot) of engineers don't know how to use their multimeter effectively. 

Next your be telling me it's not a door stop,  :D

I did a access course at Tavcom and the guy i was paired with seemed keen to guess the fault that was put on the test rig rather then using his meter, I like using a meter do the tests look at what you have. Then you can make a correct diagnosis. If someone asked me what tool i could not be without it would be my meter,

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

May as well go to work with a blindfold on if you dont have a meter in your hand. The amount of times Ive asked engineers what the voltage is, or what current is it drawing, and they havent looked!

That's cos they left meter at pj 

3 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Swap it, book it, feck off, seems to be standard protocol...

I'd agree, the fact that over 95% of our returns are no fault found backs this up. Been like it for years, every job I have had it's been pretty much the same.

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

3 minutes ago, AdrianMealing said:

I'd agree, the fact that over 95% of our returns are no fault

Many yrs ago I used to buy vertas r8's from my local branch of CEF. IIRC a good few % cheaper than CSD Professional (yes that long ago)

They where going to stop stocking them as they had lots of returned items & could not understand why we never sent any back...

They used to get

Mr? Veritas God

32 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

Many yrs ago I used to buy vertas r8's from my local branch of CEF. IIRC a good few % cheaper than CSD Professional (yes that long ago)

They where going to stop stocking them as they had lots of returned items & could not understand why we never sent any back...

They used to get

What? They used to get what!?

Come back H the suspense is killing me!!

1 minute ago, norman said:

I'm in suspenders

Fixed.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

1 hour ago, AdrianMealing said:

I'd agree, the fact that over 95% of our returns are no fault found backs this up.

That wasn't exactly my point, but I understand where you are coming from.

How can you prove that the supply and cable is ok before you bin the detector without your meter?

You have to do your best to prove the equipment/cable after a F/A.  Many seem to blindly swap it out and feck off.

I'm sure I have mentioned before I have been to calls were three different engineers had been and swapped the same sensor after false alarms over a month period not even thinking to check for a cable fault.

Look at it from both ways. If you don't find an obvious issue you are normally best to swap it. You will be back again, if there is an issue, but this time not earning anything.

Agree with all that, one of the biggest issues over the last few years has been **** cable, it's been mentioned before but a lot of people don't know how to turn a meter on let alone use one. Poor quality cable causes all sorts of issues for many manufacturers, poor quality installations are usually blamed on the gear used, especially when in front of the punter. I've had to have a few quiet words with several company owners when their so called engineers have blamed our kit on their **** install and lack of knowledge. Does my head in when we get called to a site as the cause of the problem, only to find it's got feck all to do with us.

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom