Security Installer Community

Door Stop GRP Door Security and Home Insurance

Click4

Hi,

I have just fitted a high security GRP door, it has an Ultion 3 Star Euro Cylinder, Yale Lock Master Lock Set, Yale TS007 Platinum SBD Handles, Door Chain, Letterbox Restrictor, Laminated glass. spy hole etc

I want to get the euro cylinder modified to a thumbturn on the inside, still the same euro cylinder though.

I have been told it will effect the Secured By Design rating, which im fine with... but in regards to home insurance how will it effect that? Considering it is laminated glass, they would have to smash and get through the laminated glass first before being able to access the thumb turn so I don't really see a problem.

Could understand it if it was ordinary glass... they can smash the glass and unlock door from the inside through the broken pane... but with laminated glass it greatly reduces the chances / risk of that happening.

On inside it is also Satin glass also, so they cant even see from outside that there is a thumbturn on the inside... and with a letterbox restrictor this also makes it impossible for them to get something inside to turn it.

I also want to change the handle to a split handle so it cant be opened from the outside. the existing lock set has holes for 2 spindle shafts, and yale make an offset version of the TS007 Platinum so I thought it would of just been a case of buying an offset handle to make use of the 2nd spindle shaft.

However I've been told I need a new lock set as well?

I've fitted a thumbturn to my front door. In that case it was a ABS cylinder, though the Ultion was a close second. The ABS thumbturn is spring-loaded so you have to push it in before it'll turn. It's not completely infallible, but makes it much more difficult to stick a coat hanger through the letterbox. I worked on the basis that my priority was my family getting out quickly in the case of a fire, without having to hunt around for keys.

I phoned my insurance company (Direct Line) and told them, and requested written confirmation that they were happy with this arrangement. They sent me a letter in the post confirming that they are "aware that the front door is fitted with a safety feature that allows egress without the use of a key" and confirmed that this doesn't affect the premium or level of cover at all.

Your insurance company may say the same, but given that you no longer have "key operated locks on all external doors" it's best to tell then.

I fitted a GRP Door Stop door on my last house. I wish I could have brought it with me. I loved that door :-)