Security Installer Community

Setting up dual beam sensors

Total noob here could do with some help setting up some dual beam sensors. I purchased this kit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302004674097

The goal is to use the infrared beam sensors on a long driveway to detect people or cars coming down, it will then send signal to the gsm alarm panel. I'm having trouble setting up the dual beam sensors (everything else in the kit seems to work as intended).

I'm having trouble getting the sensors to detect reliably. I've lined the sensors up as best I can (using in built viewfinder) and there is a beep sequence which indicates they are correctly aligned (they are situated on fence posts about 1m off ground and 5m apart). However it's really hard to get the sensors to trigger. They might trigger 1 in 5 times when walking past them. If I deliberately stand in front of the beams to block them for a few seconds (about 3s) then they will usually trigger (not always though).

If I bring the sensors back inside and line them up on floor a couple of meters apart and lie down on the floor between them then they trigger very reliably. A leg or arm blocking the beams is usually not enough to trigger, it seems to require my body for some reason. They certainly don't trigger reliably when just walking through at a normal speed (or even slow speed). Is this normal? do I need to fine-tune alignment to make them more sensitive?

As mentioned I'm new to this. I was expecting the beams to reliably trigger when a person walks through them, was I wrong to expect this? perhaps they are more suited to detecting vehicles? The included PIR sensor triggers very reliably. Or maybe I just got what I paid for? Looking on amazon the reviews are generally very positive for similar cheap dual beam sensors.

On the back of one sensor are 2 pins with a jumper on them, from reading the manual removing the jumper makes the sensors less sensitive (not what I want).

Any help would be much appreciated.

$_12.JPG

As sixwheeledbeast said I doubt you'll find anyone on here that has used/knows the product. I would try them in close proximity to the panel/reciever to make sure it not a weak transmission signal. Set them up temporarily and test them.

janddsecurity@live.co.uk

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes I think they are meant to be able to detect a person a walking pace. Hopefully I just need to fine-tune the alignment (they have horizontal and vertical tilt adjustment). In general how fussy are these infrared beam detectors when it comes to alignment? do they need to be absolutely perfect? or is there some leeway?

21 minutes ago, J&D Security said:

I would try them in close proximity to the panel/reciever to make sure it not a weak transmission signal. Set them up temporarily and test them.

Hi yes I did try that. The sensors themselves have a beep/light sequence when beam is broken so it's possible to tell when they are triggered even without the alarm panel, unfortunately it doesn't appear to be transmission signal problems.

I wish they had built visible lasers for setting alignment, that would make it much easier. I have actually ordered a couple of cheap mini laser pointers to see if I can rig something up :)

Edited by mrbloop

25 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

can you upload a picture of inside ie any settings inside?

Pics attached. Left one is receiver, right transmitter. The top lens on both has a red led indicator in it. Bottom two are the infrared related ones. The lens carrier can be swiveled horizontally and there is a thumb screw for adjusting vertical tilt. On the second photo you can see the jumper pins on the back of the receiver.

IMG_20160714_134455.jpg

IMG_20160714_134518.jpg

IMG_20160714_134835.jpg

2 hours ago, mrbloop said:

Or maybe I just got what I paid for?

:yes:

Afraid that siren alone is the giveaway sign of generic Chinese tat.

Decent beams are never cheap, though to be honest the pictures of the insides are better than I'd imagined.

Usually though, with equipment not designed for the UK, it will be the lack of sufficient sun hours and rain that will kill solar / outdoor stuff like this.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

12 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Afraid that siren alone is the giveaway sign of generic Chinese tat.

Hehe yes I kinda knew it was when buying. Though to be fair the alarm panel (GSM features and all) actually seems to work well (for my needs at least) …once I'd deciphered the 'chinglese' manual that is. Sometimes I don't mind taking a punt on these cheap chinese things, it lets me venture into trying new things that would probably be otherwise cost prohibitive.

Depends, 20 years ago I bought lots of cheap hifi stuff, endlessly upgrading and replacing, if only I'd bought the half decent stuff I still have now I'd have spent a lot less in total.

It's a bit like buying 5 £199 Argos washing machines over 10 years vs. £600 for a Bosch that might last 12.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

2 hours ago, norman said:

My Bosch one failed after 3 years.

Bad example TBH as many models are as cheaply made as the rest. Miele I believe have a true vertical factory and only make their own stuff.

Mines Panasonic right now, Chinese tat - but with a 7 year free warranty!

2 hours ago, norman said:

Those lenses look like they will give a very wide spread, probably take Mr Blobby to trip them.

Good spot, probably half the issue

51 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

What happens if you set them up outdoors at a shorter distance ?

Isn't this Chinese stuff 433 mainly as well though?

Just replaced a Zanussi washer a couple of weeks ago, lasted 8 years.

Best thing I can think of for longevity is our Oreck vac's had them over 20 years before I replaced one of them.  

1 hour ago, james.wilson said:

what are the jumpers doing on the back

" On the back of one sensor are 2 pins with a jumper on them, from reading the manual removing the jumper makes the sensors less sensitive (not what I want). "

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

1 hour ago, norman said:

Just replaced a Zanussi washer a couple of weeks ago, lasted 8 years.

Thats the one good thing about buying half decent tech over the best tech, I was quite jealous of the new washer your missus got it looked really cool. My missuses Samsung is a couple of years old now so it will be another couple of years at least till we get a nice new flash one like yours. James's Miele will last another twenty years before he will need to upgrade to the latest tech machine 

1 hour ago, james.wilson said:

oops

I've got meile stuff can't fault it but it's not cheap

You have appliances made by a company who builds cranes ? http://home.liebherr.com/en/gbr/household-appliances/appliances-for-households.html  

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

i reakon it could but i reakon 2 things

would stop it being able to wash stuff

would look shite on site

i reakon using a washing machine to mix concrete would be like having a mobile number on my car

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.