Security Installer Community

Which graded alarms use 1-way RF?

I'd like to properly demonstate that graded wireless alarms aren't immune to jamming and replay attacks.

In 2012/2013, I found that a Cooper iON alarm could be jammed and replayed, as it uses 1-waay RF and the protocol seems pretty legacy.

What other 1-way alarms are on the market?

Texecom is 2-way, Pyronix is 2-way, HKC is 2-way.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

1 minute ago, AdrianMealing said:

When you say graded do you mean independently tested against EN standards or self certified? massive difference in my opinion.

TBH, I would prefer self-certified, as it shows that self-certification isn't all it's cracked up to be. Is it possible to tell what has been done?

To be blunt, I don't understand how some alarms are standards compliant as they just don't seem to detect jamming.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

56 minutes ago, cybergibbons said:

TBH, I would prefer self-certified, as it shows that self-certification isn't all it's cracked up to be. Is it possible to tell what has been done?

To be blunt, I don't understand how some alarms are standards compliant as they just don't seem to detect jamming.

That was my point, self cert is the norm in the UK, people believe what is said, but clearly some product just doesn't meet the requirements of the standards manufacturers claim compliance with.

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

• 1 month later...

Interestingly, the documentation is pretty vague on this for the detectors.  The RF fobs are certainly two way, but looking at the V2GY and Alpha protocol details on some of the detectors, they state that supervision is 9/18 minutes respectively.  No mention of two way control over the detectors to request status / preserve battery life Etc.   Is it possible to get a 5yr battery life from a detector with a 9 minute supervison poll without some sort of sleep mode control from the panel ?   I'm confused, as the documentation at the portal level is all 'two way protocol', but the detectors don't mention it.  In saying that though, the detectors documentation comes from Honeywell France and it's really really poor for anything other than basic mounting of the device.

Edited by GalaxyGuy