Security Installer Community

(Finally) We've published the issues with the Yale alarms

1 hour ago, Nova-Security said:

Cant see it happening for a couple of reason's

1) Most yale alarms are on houses that couldn't afford a proper Grade2X system, that why they have purchased a DIY kit.

2) If you have the equipment needed and the know how, then your probably all ready employed in the IT / electronics field on £30K + so why would you want to target the people in 1. 

Also if the Yale alarms are installed DIY and not covered by a maintenance contract by a Co for the NSI or SSAIB firm, the insurance Co treats the premises as if it hasn't got an alarm (no discounts)

1. It's really not just Yale that have the issue. Anything that isn't 2-way suffers from the issue, including the graded stuff. If you take a look at a number of systems, they aren't 2-way.

2. The jammers are available from China for £50.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

1 hour ago, al-yeti said:

I think this has more to do with advertising something with correct description , although if it received wide publicity Yale would be damaged and probably try to do CG 

You need air time then it will get attention otherwise no one gives a monkey 

They'd be in a pretty weak position, given they OKed me releasing the issues.

17 minutes ago, cybergibbons said:

They'd be in a pretty weak position, given they OKed me releasing the issues.

So how come it's not noticed , no one cares? Cos it's cheap 

Just now, Nova-Security said:

Funny that as they are one vehicle that holds money longer than most.

Depends on how you look at it, I have a 2008 transporter we purchased six years ago for £18k.  At 129k miles the engine has gone we have spend at least £3k on it over the last couple of years with stuff failing plus servicing of £500 per year so total cost £24k divided by 6 =£4k pa we have just purchased a three year old Traffic for £5k if it lasts two years it will be better value for money. 

I have had a quote for engine rebuild at £4k I can buy a similar example for £6k on autotrader so do I spend £4k so I can sell it for £2k or do I try and sell it as is? Or do I just scrap it?

My plumber has a transporter, it spends more time in the garage than it does on the road   

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

Depends on how you look at it, I have a 2008 transporter we purchased six years ago for £18k.  At 129k miles the engine has gone we have spend at least £3k on it over the last couple of years with stuff failing plus servicing of £500 per year so total cost £24k divided by 6 =£4k pa we have just purchased a three year old Traffic for £5k if it lasts two years it will be better value for money. 

I have had a quote for engine rebuild at £4k I can buy a similar example for £6k on autotrader so do I spend £4k so I can sell it for £2k or do I try and sell it as is? Or do I just scrap it?

My plumber has a transporter, it spends more time in the garage than it does on the road   

You need to go east London , engine rebuilds , gearboxes etc good prices to , west London is double the price

52 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

If I a broken Transporter van I'd have it valeted & bung it on ebay... remember to include "surf van" . "camper" on the listing  

And bike rack...

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

11 hours ago, Nova-Security said:

I meant the equipment to capture the signal and turn the alarm off.

My mistake 

Ah, ok. I mean, given that the jamming works (and works well), then I think that would be the attack chosen. Only downside to it is that you don't get confirmation the alarm is disarmed, you need to hope for the best.

The replay is awkward as well, as capturing the signal requires you are there when the alarm is armed or disarmed (you can modify one signal to the other easily). That means planning, and the last few "psychology of a burglar" things I have read suggest there is rarely any planning beyond driving round the area beforehand.

2 hours ago, cybergibbons said:

Ah, ok. I mean, given that the jamming works (and works well), then I think that would be the attack chosen. Only downside to it is that you don't get confirmation the alarm is disarmed, you need to hope for the best.

Same for some other devices on the market then, not controls.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

disagree I know certain groups of people with plenty of gold and large sums of cash and have Yale alarm systems , not to mention designer gear and top end gadgets.

They don't understand that all alarm systems are not created equally.

On 29/06/2016 at 9:32 PM, cybergibbons said:

So far in the last 4 years, I've had 8 people approach me about break-ins without alarms going off. One of them I would definitely put down to mental health issues,

Arf?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands