Security Installer Community

(Finally) We've published the issues with the Yale alarms

Just watched the local news people chose to use the cheapest car parking service they could find, only to find that their car had been parked in a muddy field with the key left in the ignition. They co apparently lost some of the cars, cant think how. I suppose to some people saving money is more important than value for money, I love saving money myself, but I do my homework not just choose the cheapest.  

Similarly I used to look for what I'd describe as best value, now I'm getting older I factor in my time and the true value of saving a few pounds. I'm a big advocate of buy the best you can afford nowadays. The sweet taste of quality remains long after the bitter taste of cost. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

9 hours ago, james.wilson said:

i do think this will become more of an issue, but while insurers see them as the same and are more worried about flood it wont make a headline

There's evidence of jammers being used a lot for car theft now, the police are finding them fairly regularly, and a few court cases have had them submitted as evidence. Basic jammers though, just sending a signal all of the time.

Thing that is puzzling is that, as far as I know, the police haven't recovered any of the gizmos used to get past the more advanced security. Plenty of CCTV footage of thieves walking up to cars and stepping in though.

9 hours ago, norman said:

Problem as I see it is, and correct me if I'm wrong, there is no trail of tampering? Much like a bump key if they lock it after your goosed

Yep. Unfortunately the people who contacted me wanted me to look into it for free, so it was just emails back and forth.

One of them, the problem was that they mentioned to the police the alarm was armed. This got put in the crime report, the insurers didn't believe them...

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

4 minutes ago, cybergibbons said:

One of them, the problem was that they mentioned to the police the alarm was armed. This got put in the crime report, the insurers didn't believe them...

Which system & did it have a proper log ?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

In that instance, Domonial in a new build.

They hadn't paid for maintenance, and were asking if I could recover the log from the panel.

I can't even vaguelly work these panels out even with an engineers code. Quoted £500 to have a look but they weren't interested.

Edited by cybergibbons

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

8 hours ago, cybergibbons said:

There's evidence of jammers being used a lot for car theft now, the police are finding them fairly regularly, and a few court cases have had them submitted as evidence. Basic jammers though, just sending a signal all of the time.

Not all are jammers!

I'm also a radio amateur 434mhz is right in the middle of the 70cm amateur band.  I run a few amateur repeaters (fully licensed by Ofcom) when they transmit (25w) they knock out all nearby 434Mhz keyfobs..... and by the look of the report Yale alarms!!