Security Installer Community

(Finally) We've published the issues with the Yale alarms

Last week I presented at IFSEC on the issues with wireless alarms, especially the cheap ones. It was received quite well, but we weren't allowed to name names.

We've published a blog post about it now:

https://www.pentestpartners.com/blog/alarm-systems-alarmingly-insecure-oh-the-irony/

The short of it - easy to jam, easy to replay disarm signals, you can sniff the PIN over-the-air if you use a remote keypad, you can brute-force the PIN as well. I reported these issues to Yale 4 years ago.

However, they seem to be getting more and more popular as time goes on.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

Because less and less people give a hoot I reckon, and why would a crim go to the trouble of jamming or even capturing a PIN on someone who has a YALE system.

I'd be interested to know the true figures for any radio system circumnavigated in a similar way. 

I also wish I has a pound for every YALE system sold, people buy it through brand trust and recognition.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

2 hours ago, norman said:

Because less and less people give a hoot I reckon, and why would a crim go to the trouble of jamming or even capturing a PIN on someone who has a YALE system.

I'd be interested to know the true figures for any radio system circumnavigated in a similar way. 

I also wish I has a pound for every YALE system sold, people buy it through brand trust and recognition.

I have to admit the same thought went through my mind, along with its a good job that banks dont use them 

Banks are scarily lapse with alarms, they rely on the vault in any event of it not working rather than wait out of hours for an engineer.

In fact thinking about it, I've never been to a bank ooh.

3 hours ago, norman said:

I dunno, the houses with them on are getting bigger and bigger, and some of the amazon reviews talk of big installs.

The PIN etc, yeah, not likley. The jamming though, really easy, reliable and cheap. I'd love to say much more expensive alarms can't be jammed, but a fair few can.

So far in the last 4 years, I've had 8 people approach me about break-ins without alarms going off. One of them I would definitely put down to mental health issues, one was a wired alarm, but the other 6 look credible. Hard to say really.

Just think manufacturers should all be pulling their weight here, and now stuff is getting Internet connected, even more so. Videofied was terrible, as was Risco.

18 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

ain't there upto 100k in an ATM ?

In fact I fancy mending ATMs or traffic lights rather than alarms (no chin rubbing smiley anymore :()

That's about the upper limit, but with a mix of £20s and £10s, normally a lot less. The ones in banks tend to be filled with more.

Look at these muppets though - spent months digging a tunnel to net a couple of thousand:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/mole-gang-dig-100ft-tunnel-679754

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

ain't there upto 100k in an ATM ?

In fact I fancy mending ATMs or traffic lights rather than alarms (no chin rubbing smiley anymore :()

A friend has just left ADT to go back servicing ATM's

Just watched the local news people chose to use the cheapest car parking service they could find, only to find that their car had been parked in a muddy field with the key left in the ignition. They co apparently lost some of the cars, cant think how. I suppose to some people saving money is more important than value for money, I love saving money myself, but I do my homework not just choose the cheapest.  

Similarly I used to look for what I'd describe as best value, now I'm getting older I factor in my time and the true value of saving a few pounds. I'm a big advocate of buy the best you can afford nowadays. The sweet taste of quality remains long after the bitter taste of cost. 

9 hours ago, james.wilson said:

i do think this will become more of an issue, but while insurers see them as the same and are more worried about flood it wont make a headline

There's evidence of jammers being used a lot for car theft now, the police are finding them fairly regularly, and a few court cases have had them submitted as evidence. Basic jammers though, just sending a signal all of the time.

Thing that is puzzling is that, as far as I know, the police haven't recovered any of the gizmos used to get past the more advanced security. Plenty of CCTV footage of thieves walking up to cars and stepping in though.

9 hours ago, norman said:

Problem as I see it is, and correct me if I'm wrong, there is no trail of tampering? Much like a bump key if they lock it after your goosed

Yep. Unfortunately the people who contacted me wanted me to look into it for free, so it was just emails back and forth.

One of them, the problem was that they mentioned to the police the alarm was armed. This got put in the crime report, the insurers didn't believe them...

4 minutes ago, cybergibbons said:

One of them, the problem was that they mentioned to the police the alarm was armed. This got put in the crime report, the insurers didn't believe them...

Which system & did it have a proper log ?

Mr? Veritas God

In that instance, Domonial in a new build.

They hadn't paid for maintenance, and were asking if I could recover the log from the panel.

I can't even vaguelly work these panels out even with an engineers code. Quoted £500 to have a look but they weren't interested.

Edited by cybergibbons

8 hours ago, cybergibbons said:

There's evidence of jammers being used a lot for car theft now, the police are finding them fairly regularly, and a few court cases have had them submitted as evidence. Basic jammers though, just sending a signal all of the time.

Not all are jammers!

I'm also a radio amateur 434mhz is right in the middle of the 70cm amateur band.  I run a few amateur repeaters (fully licensed by Ofcom) when they transmit (25w) they knock out all nearby 434Mhz keyfobs..... and by the look of the report Yale alarms!!

7 hours ago, DCINETRED said:

Not all are jammers!

I'm also a radio amateur 434mhz is right in the middle of the 70cm amateur band.  I run a few amateur repeaters (fully licensed by Ofcom) when they transmit (25w) they knock out all nearby 434Mhz keyfobs..... and by the look of the report Yale alarms!!

Not all signals you see are jammers, but the boxes the police are recovering are.

25W would be horrific in a built up area for these things. 500mW is already enough!

Its only a matter of time before someone decides to target the Yale systems with the equipment suggested.

As for skill, sounds like there are affordable means to look at a viable cost effective burglar solution to disarm the alarm. There are enough Yale systems out there. I am sure they could collect enough valuables in a few minutes with no alarm being raised to make it a burglar consider the option.

Would it boost people to consider getting a proper alarm installed?  possibly if someone started targeting the Yale alarm panels.

5 hours ago, secureiam said:

Its only a matter of time before someone decides to target the Yale systems with the equipment suggested.

Cant see it happening for a couple of reason's

1) Most yale alarms are on houses that couldn't afford a proper Grade2X system, that why they have purchased a DIY kit.

2) If you have the equipment needed and the know how, then your probably all ready employed in the IT / electronics field on £30K + so why would you want to target the people in 1. 

Also if the Yale alarms are installed DIY and not covered by a maintenance contract by a Co for the NSI or SSAIB firm, the insurance Co treats the premises as if it hasn't got an alarm (no discounts)

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

I think this has more to do with advertising something with correct description , although if it received wide publicity Yale would be damaged and probably try to do CG 

You need air time then it will get attention otherwise no one gives a monkey