Security Installer Community

Vehicle

Swerve the transporter idea even the VW club think theyre ****. Our one spent more time in the garage than it did out and now it looks like the engine is fooked. My plumber has the same van a year older and his is the same as ours forever in the garage. I will never buy another one. 

Ive see builders use pickup trucks they are or used to be classed as vans so cheap tax as a company vehicle, Not sure what you can do with the ladder situation thoughhttps://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjMppiPn4LNAhXLIcAKHcmKCYMQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forconstructionpros.com%2Farticle%2F12004414%2Ftools-to-help-organize-your-pickup-truck-bed-for-work&psig=AFQjCNHsY7s-H6WYM5sk3S-3aXE_SKjQyw&ust=1464712940684428

1 hour ago, mountianrider said:

Anyone here operate from pickups? Toying with the idea, but worrying if they are actually that practical for ladders?

I assume they'll be heaver on fuel & tyres than a van ?

Edited by MrHappy

Mr? Veritas God

We have a Transporter going back to the lease company tomorrow with 156k on it, 4 x Caddy's all with >110k all 12 plates, the maint records show minimal repairs. The Transporter had a gearbox under warranty some time ago and I must say drives 1st class.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

8 minutes ago, norman said:

We have a Transporter going back to the lease company tomorrow with 156k on it, 4 x Caddy's all with >110k all 12 plates, the maint records show minimal repairs. The Transporter had a gearbox under warranty some time ago and I must say drives 1st class.

Did better than our it had less than 120k when the engine died I wouldnt mind but we had just paid out about £2k on something or other on it. I could have leased a vehicle for less money than that one cost me 

15 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Did better than our it had less than 120k when the engine died I wouldnt mind but we had just paid out about £2k on something or other on it. I could have leased a vehicle for less money than that one cost me 

Journeys may play a big part I guess, these sit on the M way and do 30-40k pa with very little short journeys.

Installers van so most days it will be on average 50 miles round trip. The longer trips would be 150 mile round trip. But the transporter hardly ever does lots of short trips, not like the connects, they do lots of short trips. 

2 hours ago, MrHappy said:

I assume they'll be heaver on fuel & tyres than a van ?

No idea, I wan't the 5 seats for the family. TBH love the pickup look, and lets face it as security engineers we don't carry heavy or big tools. Ladders the biggest thing!

12 hours ago, mountianrider said:

No idea, I wan't the 5 seats for the family. TBH love the pickup look, and lets face it as security engineers we don't carry heavy or big tools. Ladders the biggest thing!

Sure?

Admittedly this is old, but I imagine the lifecycle of pickups is slower than passenger cars...

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/pick-ups-do-poorly-in-latest-euro-ncap-tests/

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Pickups would be a ballache to work from imo, stuff rolling round in the back, having to clamber around looking for parts, only one way in. Feck that, at least with an estate it's got two points of entry but I'd always go van if you are installing and have an estate for service only. 

I see a pick up, I see a pikey 

5 seats then Estate car or a kombi, the T6 Transporter on the 2ltr seem to be able to take the miles and very few issues

I went for new connect L2 last January and has 35k on it now, been back once due to limp mode needed a complete SW reflash apart from that been ok, build quality is tat but that's like most modern vehicles, the older T4 Transporters were best vans ever look at the amount still going

58 minutes ago, whistle said:

image.pngLarge saloon car is more than enough.

Im looking to replace the transporter and my engineers are saying I need a similar size because of all the kit that have to carry to site. I am not over sure they do need something that big, how do you get lots of rolls of Cat5 to site Andrew?