Security Installer Community

Reconnect Existing CCTV Cameras

Hi there,

The previous owners of our house had two dome cameras installed (one at the front and one at the rear) and just left the cables dangling in the loft.

I've attached some pics but from what I can tell they are 2 x siamese cables, each having a single video + live + neutral. The live + neutral cables are crimped together so I'm left with the following:

- 2 x video connectors

- 1 x live wire

- 1 x neutral wire

I've no idea how to reconnect these other than to assume I need some sort of DVR box for the video connectors but have no idea what to do with the power cables. How do I power the dome cameras? What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_7168.jpg

IMG_7166.JPG

Edited by seeseeteevee

10 minutes ago, Rulland said:

A 12v dc power supply unit-2amp output would cover most eventualities. 

Thanks for the swift response.

Do you have a link or something to show me what one of these looks like? I wonder why the previous owners took this with them.

Would I need to connect the live + neutral wires to a female DC connector as well in order to connect to the 12v DC power supply unit?

Edited by seeseeteevee

Have they left the cameras? If so, it would be worth checking their power requirements and video output before you purchase a power supply and DVR. Chances are they're standard analogue 12vdc cams, although 24vac cameras are quite common, as well as HD-SDI, TVI and CVI.

If you need a 12vdc PSU, this would do the job fine: https://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/genie-2-amp-12v-dc-switch-mode-power-supply-p-3094.html

• Upvote 1

Trade Member

The 'domes' are still fitted externally and the cables are running from both of them so I assume the cameras are still there!?

I'm struggling to understand exactly how to connect the live + neutral wires to the 12v DC power supply. Do I have to fit some sort of connector on to them like a female DC connector in order to connect to a male DC connector?

Thinking one of these would be o.k. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AY9RY3S/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0085SKNTC&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=D3AEN9GAPWW8Q95VS8JK

Looking at your pic 

Red / brown maybe positive +

Blue / black maybe negative -

Just power them seperate

On adaptors centre pin is normally + and outer is -

Hey there,

So is there anybody on here who can step me through what I need to do? Never done this before so I'd appreciate some help understanding what connections are needed, and how to rig everything up to power the cameras and a DVR.

Thanks

Get a digital volt meter unless you intend to guess , because you have allot info above , have you tried any yet?

There's no garuntee there's no faults present on the existing wiring unless you know how to test the cables