Security Installer Community

Hello,

I've currently got no alarm at our property and were hoping someone could give me a few recommendations for a DIY HARD-WIRED system that I could install myself. My original budget was approx £500, however I've had an unexpected flood damage to the property, costing me hundreds of pounds, so unfortunately my budget is now no more than £350.

I know it's much less, but I'd rather have some security system, than nothing at all as I'm going on a pre-booked holiday within the next 3 weeks.

If possible, I'd like to have:-

• GSM
  • UPGRADEABLE
  • MODERN

Much appreciate your help.

Get a basic kit but £350 won't get you far 

Texecom ricochet

Pyronix enforcer

Visonic powermax

All diy available, and friendly I think, 

More budget get an installer to fit the above or a HKC 

Get some rebate on the holiday only go for two weeks instead and get good security 

Mr Happy, thank you so much!  It's exactly what I wanted help with.

The system you have built on  www.securitywarehouse.co.uk.....does this have the ability to add other stuff at a later date, such as more pir detectors or door contacts?

Also is it better/cheaper to buy a kit or buy seperately, like you have?

Lastly to save money, would you recommend buying on sites like ebay?

Edited by security123

P48, or at least the metal endstation one,goes upto 4 rkp's & 4 expanders (total of 48 zones) & various other stuff,

Did'nt look at Sw kit's,

Ebay can be fine if its new & from a trader who's sells lots of the same items.... however as always buyer beware ;)

Mr? Veritas God

Thanks Mr Happy.

Now I know I mentioned GSM, but what I meant is that the alarm must have the capability to upgrade when I want this feature at a later date.  I'm not sure if this is possible, but since I'm currently having some financial difficulties to afford the best, can I take anything extra out, such as the GSM Communicator and instead for now purchase buy more PIR detectors, external bells and door contacts for the rest of the rooms?  If so, what could I possibly take out?

All I'm trying to do is get the best equipment for my money which would at least cover the basic security and then at a later date add any extra features.

Edited by security123

The gsm dialler can be taken off to save some and can just be added when needed, Mr happy has done some leg work for you,

I would say to do a sketch of your house work out if you had no budget what you would do and then you can get the wiring in place for when you can afford to add more,saves having to keep disturbing the same area

8 circuits in main control,

2 circuits per keypad

8 circuirts per expander,

Thanks WDT.

To be thoroughly honest, I've been reading and checking out youtube videos whilst awaiting a reply on the forum.  I'm now having seconds thoughts about a wired system.  It seems to be a bit too complex and a lot of work for me and I feel that I should be thoroughly honest with you guys and hope I didn't waste your time....Sorry, especially to Mr Happy.

I think learning from this mistake, I'd rather go for a similar type of wireless system which provides the required feature or upgrades and hopefully should be more easier to install as there are no wires to clip on walls.

Edited by security123

Thats ok,

People on here don't mind trying to help,

I understand it's a lot of info and work involed, Time vs cost, your time is free so to speak, I understand wireless is quicker to fit.

Thanks for being so understanding WDT.  I just hope MrHappy doesn't feel upset.

There are so many different alarm manufacturers and out of all of them, I narrowed it down to three best ones which are Pyronix, Visonic & Texecom.  But from here onwards it's a minefield of stuff and accessories and I just wish someone could help me like MrHappy did to make a shopping checklist of what I need to buy for my needs.  I don't mind paying the person for their time to do this.  As said previously, GSM is a must, although not immediately required and I would like the option to be able to add this feature in the near future.

There are so many different alarm manufacturers and out of all of them, I narrowed it down to three best ones which are Pyronix, Visonic & Texecom

Not the best but most popular. All are used by both diy and pro, but some are pro only

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

1 hour ago, james.wilson said:

Not the best but most popular. All are used by both diy and pro, but some are pro only

As long as they are somewhat upgradeable and have gsm ability then I'd have a non-pro version.  Which one would you recommend then?

7 minutes ago, security123 said:

It seems I've upset you guys as I can see no one has replied to this thread.  Sorry.

You havent upset anyone, but there are many more topics going on in the trade forums so people are answering those topics over the DIY ones. All panels can be upgraded to GSM by adding a GSM dialer, but if you want an app based one I think you need to be careful as you may need to buy the panel with the GSM onboard I am unfamiliar with the lower end panels, the higher end have plug in capability. You could choose cheaper detectors and still be under £350.00 but you will need two rolls of cable most likely    

Thank you PeterJames.  I'm just wondering if I'm biting off more than I can chew.  My main reasons for a wired install is to avoid having to change batteries on the external siren bell, but I've read that many wireless alarms allow the option of hard-wiring a bell and other peripherals.  So I'm wondering, should I go for a more easier wireless install, such as a pyronix enforcer or visonic powermax/powermaster and then hardwire the bell and keypads???

If you are competent at running cables I would go hardwired every time. The hardest bit for you as the DIYer is probably the programming.

Other than battery on going costs, and having to get up to the bell box, there are other things to consider with wireless. We have several customers with obsolete wireless systems, we cannot get replacement detectors which means when it goes wrong we have to replace the system completely with another wireless. With a hard wired system the same thing could happen, but any hw detector will work with the panel and any panel will work with the detectors and bell.

Dont get me wrong wireless is soo much better than it was, but it will always have its limitations. We prefer hybrid you can fit wireless in those hard to get to places and hw in others.

Wireless is easier to install but no easier to program, and much more expensive to buy, hybrid is dearer, but then it would be 

2 hours ago, security123 said:

Thanks peter, my property does have a lot of hard to wire locations, but if I went Hybrid, what system would you recommend that won't cost the earth?

Problem is your budget, and any panel I would recommend would not really be aimed at the DIY market. Our engineers have all been trained on the panels we install and even then they get stuff wrong, and tech support will only talk to registered companies. As a diyer with a small budget, I would not recommend you blow your budget on the most expensive panel only to find that you don't understand how to program it and you cant get any support.