Security Installer Community

PIR Placement advise

Hi, I'm planning to replace an old 4 zone alarm and want to extend coverage for the gound floor. So I'll end up with a PIR on the landing and 5 downstairs plus two door contacts. Is the placement on the plan attached OK?

Floor plan for alarm1.jpg

11 hours ago, norman said:

Study to garage door contact needs to be on the opening side, but I assume it's for illustration only?

Yes, just on the illustration. It's actually on the opening side. Thanks.

19 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Best to have PIRs facing into the room away from the windows where possible.

So ideally need to be in the opposite corners, but imagine it would be fine.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for the new PIRs. Unfortunately it'll be difficult to move the old ones because of the house layout (back part of the house is an an extension). But having said that, I've not had an issues in the last 10years with them.

I would agree with sixwheeledbeast, best to face inwards, also your plan does not show an radiators,heating ducts, stoves etc, that should also be considered.

And, I would be very careful of the PIR in the hall, if you have a letter box in the door.

You have not indicated the location of the panel, but if you are putting it in the utility room, it could be at risk of tampering from intrusion by the fitted window. But you would be protecting against a professional.

7 hours ago, QSXS said:

I would agree with sixwheeledbeast, best to face inwards, also your plan does not show an radiators,heating ducts, stoves etc, that should also be considered.

And, I would be very careful of the PIR in the hall, if you have a letter box in the door.

You have not indicated the location of the panel, but if you are putting it in the utility room, it could be at risk of tampering from intrusion by the fitted window. But you would be protecting against a professional.

Thanks for the advice. There are almost no radiators downstairs, just one in the hallway on the right wall (wall shared with utility room) and one in the office under the window. For the PIRs I was going to take  sixwheeledbeast's advice in another thread to use  Bosch Blu Line for pet detectors  since they can cope better with temperature variations - hence it should cope with the hallway radiator. I'll try and put as many as I can facing inwards.

The panel is in the garage at the moment and I was planning on leaving it there to save rewiring the whole thing.

I've already have a note in my plans to make sure I cater for the letterbox.

You have not shown a contact on the Front Door, I don't know what other think, but I would have the contact on the front door and lose the hall PIR.

IMO, it does not offer much value.

To play devils advocate, what does it give you.?

Under normal e&e, it's in Access.

If you come through the window / hole in the door, possible a few second quicker notification, before ingression into one of the other zones.

Possible false alarms from the letter box if fitted.

I guess it guards the RKP and would also provide an extra point if alarm conformation is required.

Although, I can think of one benefit from a system I did last month, as an Entry trigger in Part Arm that simplifies the functioning when using two Areas and local RKP arming. Without the trigger, the whole system would disarm.

as i said reminder in the morning. Assuming landing and all rooms of the hallway are protected then its not really a security issue but imo should always be fitted. In my experience post isnt an issue 99.9% of the time

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Many hallways have windows so good to have pir , or double fronted doors with glass either side, again hallway pirs are good, not much use otherwise as above and above except good reminder

But then if zones are set for access in part set then wouldn't matter as another zone would remind you

What's the crack with part set and zones being switched to timed access is there any issue with compliance and all that shabang 

What you saying monkeys?

Thanks everyone. I think from my point of view there's two reasons for the hallway PIR. There is the small cloakroom with entry from the hallway which has a window - so the PIR covers anyone getting access that way as well as the entry door. The other one is the reminder the alarm is on. Saved me many times when we have guest staying overnight: Even though you tell them the alarm is on, I can't remember the number of times they head down at 6am. The hallway PIR has acted as a wake up alarm so I can run down and turn it off :D.

I had one other question - what's your opinion on PIRs in the bedroom. The downstairs is extended at the back with a pitched roof. This sort of gives easy access to the back bedrooms upstairs. Would you recomend PIRs in those two bedrooms?

21 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Part sets?

Thanks. I acutally did wonder about that and having read up on it, that may be the better solution: It's easier to wire up a PIR than the shock sensors unless I go with a wireless expander.