Security Installer Community

Hi Everyone,

First of all, I apologise my poor English, as I am not native.

I am making a research study on Smart security systems for residential in the UK. I am struggling to get clear information about this segment. I did a similar job for US and it seems that there, they are a bit ahead of the UK and the Continental Europe.

As I am looking for Pro channel and DIY, I am using this post only to reach you guys, professionals.

Does anyone in the forum can give me some tips about the smart home security systems in the UK? I am looking for Pro Vendors, meaning the main brands in the market that deal exclusively with installers - it would be nice to know the market leaders; the number of households that are equipped with Pro monitored system ( a rough idea in percentage or volume, would help a lot); and which vendors offer subscription plans.

I really appreciate your thoughts on this topic. Once achieved this study I can provide you with top line results.

Hi Antonio

Welcome to the forum.

Technically the I would say US is about the same as us but, their rules are less secure. We have tamper circuits which are 24 hour circuits protecting against the system being sabotaged whilst unset, I have not seen these circuits being used in the US. 

I do not quite understand what it is you want exactly. But the security industry in the UK does have smart alarm systems with smart phone apps that can control other outputs such as lights and locks, there are also systems with integrated cctv so when the alarm activates it sends pictures to a monitoring station and your smart phone. The professional installer can do almost anything with an alarm system nowadays.

Hi Peter,

When mentioned US, I meant to highlight the amount of suppliers/vendors that offer subscription plans. It is something that I cannot find online here in the UK.

I found that the security industry offers the smart alarm systems, and I am looking after the size of that market in the UK. But I cannot figure out the main players that offer the subscription plans. And, for example, ADT just lunched the smart home division this year; Honeywell has a smart home department in US but not in the UK. I find a lot of products, diversified offers, but a lack of full range solutions from the same supplier, e.g.,

100% Wireless
Intrusion
Environmental
Fire
Life Safety
24/7 Service
Crash & Smash
Email & Text
Remote Access
Remote Control
Light Control
Geo Services
Live Video
Motion-Activated
HD&Night Vision
Door Locks
Energy Management

Hi Antonio

Well, there are three differentials in the UK, there is the diy market, the non approved market, and the approved market. Monitored systems in the UK that call the Police must be installed by the approved market and there are two inspectorates that can provide approval  http://www.nsi.org.uk National security inspectorate  and  https://ssaib.org   Something Security and inspectorate board.

Both sites have a list of companies that they provide approval for. It would be quite hard to nail down exactly how many non approved companies are out there I know of several in my town that have come and gone over the years. DIY well there is a strong market for DIY we daily get requests for help from people doing DIY on their alarms. 

Most approved companies can do the majority of your list we certainly can, sadly there is not that much call for some of it