Security Installer Community

Missing RIO 102

Shembo

Hi everyone,

First time I've posted so not really sure what I'm doing. 

I have a galaxy 2-44 that I fitted about two years ago. It's been no trouble up until about a month ago when user said that when he set it, it told him that RIO102 was missing. He bypassed it to set the alarm. By the time I got to have a look at at, everything was fine. I checked the cables, voltage, zone resistance etc but I could find nothing wrong. 

Last week it dropped out in the middle of the night and the dialler called the key holder. Again, no fault could be found when I looked at it. Last night it dropped out 3 times. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what could be causing this. Faulty expander?

If anyone can shed a little light on this I would be most grateful.

Thanks for the speedy reply james.wilson. When you say a copy of the log, do you want me to list it out or is there some way I can get it off the system? There's no ethernet connection so I don't think I can download it. 

Ok that's fine. No modem in use, it uses an external dialler so here it is:

17:58  Full set

00:27  +Missing Rio 102

00:28  -Missing Rio 102

00:29  +Missing Rio 102

00:29  -Missing Rio 102

00:57  Rearm G_ _ _

01:04  +Missing Rio 102

01:04  -Missing Rio 102

01:04  +Missing Rio 102

01:34  Rearm G_ _ _

05:57  -Missing Rio 102

05:58  +Missing Rio 102

06:00  -Missing Rio 102

06:28  Rearm G_ _ _

07:40  Unset

Hope that helps. 

There's a point in there that the RIO drops out for a few hours - I would suspect power or a failing part.

Check under diagnostics for the RIO - voltage and comm's.   Press the hash key.  Also check the voltage at the RIO with a meter. 

If there's some sort of power issue (sometimes caused by battery), then some devices will show issues before others.

If everything looks okay, then start eliminating by swapping the RIO first.  They are normally very reliable though!

Edited by GalaxyGuy

Hi Galaxyguy, 

Thanks for your input. I just went to check the things you said and low and behold, I caught it in the act. The comm's had dropped to 000% and the LED in the Rio had started flashing the 'lost communication' code. I checked the voltage across the DO - DI terminals and I was getting 5-6v. I thought that was low but then the unit re-established comm's and the voltage didn't change. Do you know what voltage I should be getting? It's the same output at the main board too. 

I meant the 12V power supply.  The RS485 lines are differential pair data, so can change voltage depending on traffic, but the fact you were reading a voltage would suggest some traffic on the bus when the system is failing. When you read these signals, it's best to read each voltage with respect to ground.  If there is traffic at the terminals at the RIO, and other devices on the bus (keypad) are not showing any issues, then you still could have a power supply issue at the RIO or a faulty RIO.

Edited by GalaxyGuy

Ah, ok, that makes sense. I checked the power supply at the same time and it was reading 12.3-12.6. It fluctuated between those two. It was the same when it was in communication and when not. Certainly no faults at the keypads or anywhere else that I can see. Is this pointing toward a dodgy Rio do you think? 

I did think that al-yeti. It's about a 50m run but it's hidden along the backs of fencing, under a driveway, across a roof, you know the sort of thing. I did swap to two spare cores in the cable in case one of the others were damaged, (did this on my first visit) but to no avail. 

I've ordered a new Rio now. I'll swap that out and see what happens. In the mean time, I'll still entertain any fresh ideas that anyone comes up with. 

Thanks for all your help everyone, I'll let you know what happens. 

Yes, from the description of the cable installation, it would probably make sense to perform some tests on the cores for water ingress Etc.  The RIO's are very reliable. A cable swinging along the back of a fence - less so.

2 hours ago, Shembo said:

Haha, I make you right on that Galaxyguy. How would I go about testing it? I've 'belled it out' and put my meter on it and it's coming back at under 1k ohm. Does that sound about right for the distance? 

56 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

1k would be about 1000m on copper cable. 1k is too high imo

But is the above with the 680ohm EOL resistor in place

Or a 1k instead of the 680 ?

Edited by Nova-Security

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Yeah, james.Wilson I did mean shorted out, joined together at one end. So if that's too high I guess it's a new cable. I should have got the outdoor cable in the first place, the building the Rio is in was an 'on the day' addition to the original spec, so I used what I had on the van. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for your time everyone. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

Just an update to this issue in case anyone is interested.

After the suggestion that it might be water ingress into the cable, I decided to monitor the situation with this in mind. We had a period of about three weeks with very little rain(no really, we did!) and during that time there were no faults. Then, last Wednesday, we had some pretty heavy rainfall all day and sure enough, that night the alarm triggered three times. 

I went in on the Friday and replaced the cable with an external grade one and so far, despite plenty of rain there have been no more false alarms. I'll monitor it for a while longer and report back either way but in the meantime, thanks for all your input it was much appreciated.