Security Installer Community

DVR upgrade HD-SDI or HD-TVI

bgd

I am planning to upgrade my existing Cop Security 16 channel Inspire Blue DVR which alterEgo (thanks again alterEgo) helped me setup a little while back with something newer but I am thorn between different standards and find it hard to choose between HD-SDI and HD-TVI.

I have been looking at Vectus G series HD-SDI and Hikvision / Dahua HD-TVI 8 channel DVR's and wonder what would be your recommendation.

My existing cameras are not great so will need to replace these too (Vista, Genie and Ganz 600/700TVL). Looking at HD-DSI and HD-TVI camera prices it seems the HD-SDI are much more pricier and not many models available when compared to TVI's. Is there a reason for this as I understand the image quality is very similar, perhaps chipset price in HD-SDI? 

I already have good quality RG59 + power cabling in place so this should not be an issue when upgrading to the new system whatever it is.

Any input on above DVR's and reasonably priced cameras would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by bgd

I rate the Vectus G TBH, the new model is hybrid so you can replace the DVR now and then replace each camera as required later.

As for the differences between HD over Coax:- HD-SDI is digital, others (AHD/CVI/TVI) are analogue. Only HD-TVI can offer up to 1080p of the analogue options.

However, SDI being digital has a lower transmission distance compared to TVI. CVI is proprietary so I wouldn't recommend.

FYI...Dahua is HD-CVI which is rate highly.

id stay away from SDI as its a dead format and ive had nothing but issues with it- cameras dropping out on short cable runs, a 100m max limit without a booster the list goes on. 

CVI however will do over 100m on coax - 300m IIRC?? and more on cat 5 with balauns.

TVI is hikvisions format, same as CVI , havent used it myself but know a few lads that do, cant say ive heard of any major issues, except with firmware on DVRS. 

Thanks both.

I thought CVI had lower quality image when compared with SDI and TVI?

Please forgive me but can AHD cameras be used with SDI DVR?

I am not worried about cable length limitations as the runs as short max 25-30m.

Edited by bgd
Additional info

I would disagree, I would avoid CVI and use either TVI or SDI. I prefer SDI myself.

Never had any issues with SDI on good coax, can have issues on CCA tho.

Yes as my post above regarding quality, but it will depend on the camera.

They only work with there compatible equipment, some can do multiple formats.

It appears there are 1080p cameras available in CVI.

I was informed CVI in it's design couldn't do more than 720p and was lossy, maybe this has changed.

Still it's proprietary so your stuck with Dahua if you go that way.

All the CCTV manufacturers claim there protocol is better, they all have pros and cons, (cost / transmission length / picture quality).

Based on my own research through Google I am leaning towards HD-SDI even though the equipment is more expensive than TVI/CVI. Once upgraded I will not replace it for a few years and by then there will be a few more standards to think of ;-) Don't fancy IP based solution for now.

If I can run reasonably priced AHD 1080P cameras on Vectus that would fit the bill for now unless someone can recommend HD-SDI cameras that are not too expensive (1080P)?

Edited by bgd

6 hours ago, bgd said:

Based on my own research through Google I am leaning towards HD-SDI even though the equipment is more expensive than TVI/CVI. Once upgraded I will not replace it for a few years and by then there will be a few more standards to think of ;-) Don't fancy IP based solution for now.

If I can run reasonably priced AHD 1080P cameras on Vectus that would fit the bill for now unless someone can recommend HD-SDI cameras that are not too expensive (1080P)?

Where are you looking for SDI ? I've found it's cheaper than TVI and CVI .

SDI is a dead format and not many manufacturers are making cameras for it any more

Id go CVI or IP

Perhaps you as a Trade can source better prices but most of web sites I searched SDI seems more expensive and claim superior image quality, but very similar to TVI. At the end of the day if SDI was good enough for the broadcasting industry it surely will do a job for a small domestic application.

I am not too worried about the format longetivity at the moment as ripping out existing RG59 cables (industrial quality with siamese) would be too big job.

By the time I need to upgrade again it will most likely be IP based, but will cross that bridge when I get to it.

7 minutes ago, Night Owl said:

You can 100% have 1080P on CVI and the Dahua kit is 100% spot on.

CVI is good, Cop are a good supplier too.

Thanks, I guess I may need to reconsider..TVI seems to be much more available.

Apart from Hikvision and Dahua are there any other reliable TVI dvr's that you could recommend?

Anyone had experience with Triax TVI?

Remember the TVI needs to be Turbo to be 2.4MP to compare with Dahua 1080p, there are loads of TVI cameras out there but the quality of them leaves a lot to be desired

4k has been out a few months but the low FPS and the cost of equipment makes it expensive

Try your local Alarm Supplies / Enterprise for Dahua HDCVI equipment

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Steven_W said:

I did a few CVI installs a couple of years back, a few SDI after that but past 18 months all TVI Hik kit

Thanks all,

I went for Hik HQHI 8 channels in the end, it seems a solid DVR. I believe it also supports 2 x IP but not sure if these are in addition to the 8 x BNC?

On 27/04/2016 at 7:47 AM, bgd said:

Thanks all,

I went for Hik HQHI 8 channels in the end, it seems a solid DVR. I believe it also supports 2 x IP but not sure if these are in addition to the 8 x BNC?

Yes it supports the IP cameras in addition to the turbo/analogue channels.  if/when you want more IP channels then you turn one analogue channel off to get 1 extra IP channel.

At the Hikvision roadshow they said the new Turbo 3.0 does 3MP and soon to have 5MP and fisheye too!  Existing recorders also support smart features and ANPR for free!

On Turbo 1.0 product make sure you buy the HQHI model.  On Turbo 3.0, you'll probably want the HUHI models :)

HD-TVI is an open standard so you're not limited to one manufacturer should the worst happen!

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.