Security Installer Community

Just Moved Into New Home, Hoping For Advice

Hi there,

I recently moved out to the countryside from previously always living in central London, so now have a proper house for the first time.

The house we have bought already has an intruder alarm system (in fact 2 systems I think, one in the main house and a separate one in the garage building), it says Banham on the external parts, but I don't know anything else about it. I think it was fitted around 10 years ago, and the old owner effectively just told us we can call any company we want to set-up a new maintenance contract. I've spoken to a couple this morning, and they weren't exactly incredibly helpful in terms of going through the different options and costs!

I'm hoping to get some advice on who might be best to speak to about upgrading the current system, and the various options for maintenance & monitoring.

I'm keen to have some kind of "smart home" set-up and would like to be able to access the alarm remotely (to arm it, disarm it, monitor etc etc), which I assume will mean at least replacing the control panels, but would it be better to just entirely replace the system?

Does anyone have a recommendation of who I can talk to?

Thanks very much

hi and welcome,

there are a few system which can be remotley controlled which one an installer uses is generally down to personal preference.

where abouts are you now, there might be a member here who is local to you.

Hi and welcome

The security industry was a bit slow to jump on the band wagon with apps and the like, but it has more or less caught up most of the main manufacturers now have apps. There is a signalling manufacturer developing an app that will work with any panel. Banhams are a NSI Gold semi national company which should mean your alarm has been installed to reasonable standard. If you really want a smart house with a bit of home automation then upgrading the panel using the existing wiring and detection would be the way to go. I would recommend the HKC app its slightly more expensive than the cheaper panels, but in comparison you do get what you pay for. Ive wired my panel into my lightwave RF system so can switch lights on and of from the same app rather than using two.

Ah perfect, that sounds like exactly the kind of thing I'm after, so good to know I can potentially get there by just changing the panel.

We're now in Essex, about half way between Bishop's Stortford and Chelmsford.

Also, I've noticed the motion detectors in each room make an annoying tiny click each time they detect movement... so might have to change some of those too!

Oh I think they're probably working fine, it's just that that kind of electronic click really annoys me!

Really good detectors those, never false alarm. The click can be quietened by adding some foam in the detector, but you will need to change them if you want to lose the click completely.

You could try Blitz they are in your direction but I do not know if they cover Essex, but a very good company that will go that extra mile  http://blitzsecurity.co.uk/

Or you could call HKC and ask them to recommend an installer  01706-373 560

Really good detectors those, never false alarm. The click can be quietened by adding some foam in the detector, but you will need to change them if you want to lose the click completely.

You could try Blitz they are in your direction but I do not know if they cover Essex, but a very good company that will go that extra mile  http://blitzsecurity.co.uk/

Or you could call HKC and ask them to recommend an installer  01706-373 560

Thanks very much, that's a good recommendation about the foam, and good to know that they're actually good detectors!

I'll start with Blitz and see where I get.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks very much, that's a good recommendation about the foam, and good to know that they're actually good detectors!

I'll start with Blitz and see where I get.

Thanks for your help!

You are welcome, if you nee any further advice dont hesitate to ask, and dont forget to come back and let us know how you got on 

Well, I've spoken to Blitz, who were certainly very helpful in terms of going through different options etc, though they couldn't identify the current system I have (I sent the a picture of the keypad). That said, looking at the options they did suggest (either a Powermaster 10, or Agility 3), they do seem to have things such as aps to arm/disarm, and lots of available detectors etc, but don't seem to be able to actually integrate into other smart features in a home at all (such as lighting or heating systems).

Does anyone know of a system that is more expandable in this way? I'm not looking to use those features immediately, but would in future like to have a system that does things such as recognise you getting home and switching lights and heating on, and being able to set-up programs to control other things centrally.

From some brief googling it seems that the Honeywell Tuxedo Touch is the kind of thing I'm looking for, though they don't seem to do it in the UK. Does anyone know any other products like this?

BTW - Night Owl, I might well take you up on that offer, it would be good to have someone take a physical look at what we have and how it could be upgraded.

Well, I've spoken to Blitz, who were certainly very helpful in terms of going through different options etc, though they couldn't identify the current system I have (I sent the a picture of the keypad). That said, looking at the options they did suggest (either a Powermaster 10, or Agility 3), they do seem to have things such as aps to arm/disarm, and lots of available detectors etc, but don't seem to be able to actually integrate into other smart features in a home at all (such as lighting or heating systems).

Does anyone know of a system that is more expandable in this way? I'm not looking to use those features immediately, but would in future like to have a system that does things such as recognise you getting home and switching lights and heating on, and being able to set-up programs to control other things centrally.

From some brief googling it seems that the Honeywell Tuxedo Touch is the kind of thing I'm looking for, though they don't seem to do it in the UK. Does anyone know any other products like this?

BTW - Night Owl, I might well take you up on that offer, it would be good to have someone take a physical look at what we have and how it could be upgraded.

Both of the systems proposed by Blitz are wireless, which is bizarre considering you have a wired system and all the wiring already in place. There are Honeywell installers here, I havent installed Honeywell for some time now so am not familiar with any of the latest products. I am familiar with the Risco App and it is good, and of course as previously mentioned the HKC app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hkc.winterfell&hl=enTexecom also have an app as do Pyronix. If you post a pic here we will identify your panel for you

This is a picture of the keypad. The control panel (in my utility room), are behind plain white boxes so I guess won't tell you much.

I did give Blitz a bit more info that I didn't give here, that is; there are actually two separate alarm systems, one in the main house, and one in the garage. I don't see the point in having them separated (particularly as it adds to maintenance costs etc), so would rather just have the garage as an area of the main system so it will be automatically set when I set everything else. That's probably the reason they suggested a wireless compatible system (the Agility 3), so that the detectors in the garage can be wireless, and scrap the old stuff. I'd ideally actually rather just replace the control panel in the garage with something that wirelessly makes it an extension of the main house (but retaining the existing detectors and wiring within the garage etc) but apparently that isn't possible.

Looking at the various products and apps mentioned, I don't see any mention of things such as true smart home integration (such as controlling lights etc), is that something that they do? Or do I have to look at something else?

I have no idea why that picture came out upside down... It was the right way up on my computer!

post-71292-0-81218200-1457650294_thumb.j

Ok, I've been doing some more digging and Googling... Are there any professionally installed alarm systems that work on Apple's Homekit standard? Or is it still too new? I can see some DIY kits, but I really want something a bit higher level than those.

The HKC app and the Risco app can be programmed to work wireless outputs, the can be named on the app ie lights, garage door, curtians, ect then from the app on your phone you can control the outputs. I already had Lightwave RF home automation kit in my house, so I wired the outputs into a preprogrammed remote control. Now my lights come on when I open the door and switch off shortly after I disarm the alarm, I can control the lights, curtians, and heating from either app lightwave or HKC. Potentially all systems with apps can do this. Your panel is a Castle Meridian as others have already mentioned

Ah that's interesting. Some google work suggests that LightwaveRF are also working with Apple to make their stuff Homekit compatible, which would then be a great solution.

So now I just have to find an alarm system which looks like it will be Homekit compatible too...

Ah that's interesting. Some google work suggests that LightwaveRF are also working with Apple to make their stuff Homekit compatible, which would then be a great solution.

So now I just have to find an alarm system which looks like it will be Homekit compatible too...

You wont find one, least not a good one. You need to find an installer clever enough and willing enough to do it for you, if you were closer we would do it we love doing the out of the ordinary.