Security Installer Community

Fire Alarm Company

Hi,

I'm planning on taking a new step and hopefully running my own fire alarm company. Yes you might not agree that I'm just doing the one discipline but I've had 10 years experience within the fire industry, I've designed, sold, installed, commissioned and maintained systems. I'm all there with the job side of it.

It's just getting the work, where would I start? Fire alarms isn't really a word of mouth is it. What ways of advertising do you use?

I'm planning on doing my own work also being a subbie for a local well know f&s company.

All I need to know is the running business side of things.

How do I calculate budgets if I don't even know what I could earn that month? Yeah you'll probably say I'm unprepared but shall I base it on few services, small works, 1 install etc.

If I am currently employed and being paid by PAYE. Can I register as a sole trader and tax? Is that possible?

I have all tools, van, cert pads, ladders. Everything I should need to lift me off the ground. It's mainly advertising and getting it running. Any pointers? Yes you'll probably put me off doing it but I'm keen, I know it's a 24/7 job, I'll never stop but it's worth it. I'll work my ass off

I've this funny felling of Deja vu?

If you wish to be self employed... inform your employer that your forming a ltd; co.

Then its a 2nd job & you keep the same tax code, subject to earnings.

Personally I'd seek proper financial advice before doing anything.

Unless you have plenty of money & plenty of contacts "self employment" isn't going to be easy

Mr? Veritas God

Just after advice, is that not okay with you?

Just after advice, is that not okay with you?

Fine by me to keep asking, it's the ******** that I find difficult to ignore.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.