Security Installer Community

Company Vehicle

Joe Doherty

Hi all, been for a interview this week for a recently established co, previous firm was liquidated, Just they want me too use my own car for a trial period before getting a van on a 3yr lease just incase it doest work out i got to be right for them and they got to be right for me then there stuck with a van, but woudnt the next engineer comes along use it, its just got me thinking allsorts, Ive known apprentices that get given a van no problem.

Hi all, been for a interview this week for a recently established co, previous firm was liquidated, Just they want me too use my own car for a trial period before getting a van on a 3yr lease just incase it doest work out i got to be right for them and they got to be right for me then there stuck with a van, but woudnt the next engineer comes along use it, its just got me thinking allsorts, Ive known apprentices that get given a van no problem.

I know what my answer would be and it would end with 'off' but if you do decide to take up the offer make sure you tell your insurance company as chances are you're not covered for business use if it's a private car.

Even if you do have business insurance (i.e. Direct Line) it possibly won't cover you for someone elses business as an employee...

They sound like a right bunch of chancing ****s to be honest.

Edited by datadiffusion
Spelling

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Seems they lack confidence in you before you've even started, for me the interview stage/recruitment is exactly that, to recruit the right person and be confident of there capabilities from the off, I understand a trial period incase the employee has some how fluked the process but at least provide the facilities to see what they can do and that includes vehicles in my opinion. 

I know it can happen and will happen that someone turns out to be a pile of sh*t but you should be given the full perks from the start considering you've been offered the job.

Well they even told me this over the phone about my own car did put me off, plus i would be there only engineer aswell + the MD but that didnt really phase me tbh with them just starting up again

Seems they lack confidence in you before you've even started, for me the interview stage/recruitment is exactly that, to recruit the right person and be confident of there capabilities from the off, I understand a trial period incase the employee has some how fluked the process but at least provide the facilities to see what they can do and that includes vehicles in my opinion.

I know it can happen and will happen that someone turns out to be a pile of sh*t but you should be given the full perks from the start considering you've been offered the job.

Edited by Joe Doherty

For me that kind of changes the scenario in the fact he may never have employed anyone before so is probably being cautious, I can only think it is a workload issue for him and not the fact it's your capabilities he doesn't trust?

As warren buffet says "never test the depth of a river with two feet" LOL

Suppose so i had to wait for him to turn up to my interview was coming back from a quote, so i got talking to the girl in office who said previous firm had 18 engineers before it went under

For me that kind of changes the scenario in the fact he may never have employed anyone before so is probably being cautious, I can only think it is a workload issue for him and not the fact it's your capabilities he doesn't trust?

As warren buffet says "never test the depth of a river with two feet" LOL

Hi joe

i have seen this  on some of my recent interviews aswell it  apears we have a new brand of chancers in the trade now  who want extra staff   but do not want to provide any job security and at no cost to them  it is like self employed - sub contract but less per hour

Hi Joe

I wouldnt read too much into this, a small company expanding taking on engineers is a risk. It can be expensive without the cost of phone and van for smaller companies. When I first started as an engineer years ago now I used my car for a while. Now I own a business I also know what its like to be spending £x00, per month on a van thats parked outside the office because the engineer never worked out. If you are a good engineer it wont take them long to work out that you are worth the investment, and if you're a complete sausage then they havent wasted any money and you can be on your way.

Hi Joe

I wouldnt read too much into this, a small company expanding taking on engineers is a risk. It can be expensive without the cost of phone and van for smaller companies. When I first started as an engineer years ago now I used my car for a while. Now I own a business I also know what its like to be spending £x00, per month on a van thats parked outside the office because the engineer never worked out. If you are a good engineer it wont take them long to work out that you are worth the investment, and if you're a complete sausage then they havent wasted any money and you can be on your way.

But surely it would be better to hire a van for the 3 months probation and of it works out sort one long term?