Security Installer Community

Photos of alarm system installation

Guest mike2004

Guest mike2004
Hi Mike, just a tip but you may want to hold on fitting the cables if you still have plummers et al on site! Its not unusual for other trades to damage alarm cables, so its always best to go in last.

32519[/snapback]

That's very good advice. I haven't dared to look in the cellar over the past few days, since the heating was finished, just in case I see something horrendous like if someone's used a blow-torch too close to one of my cables :cry: !

Sorry we've all been waffling on on your thread BTW :)

32519[/snapback]

That is quite alright with me :yes::yes: In fact I was hoping everyone would be talking amongst themselves so much that they wouldn't realise how long it was taking me to do the job!!

Mike

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest miketubby

... more thoughts for a 'nice' installation:

1. the spur should run directly to the fusebox/distribution panel

2. the T&E should be 2.5mm (not 1.0mm as I found at my sister's house)

3. the breaker should be 10A or 16A

4. the T&E to the fused spur should be in nice white 25x16 trunking if its surface mounted

5. the fuse in the spur should be 3A

6. there should be a neat sticker on the spur that reads:

ALARM PANEL

FUSE 3A

... then it gets a tick in all the boxes :D

Points 1,5 & 6 I agree, but this being the sort of place that enjoys a healthy difference of opinion I've got a couple of comments!

What's wrong with 1mm?

Why should the breaker be 10\16A?

What's wrong with using 16x16mm trunking?

can you still get 1mm? Since you cant put it under insullation anymore our local wholesaler doesnt sell it anymore.

33156[/snapback]

Strange wholesaler you've got. 1mm is still widely available. Can't see why they've done that though, there's nothing special about 1mm, just shows they're obviously clueless.

All cables need derating when they go under insulation, not just 1mm. 1mm cable can be used under insulation if the CPD and loads are correctly sized for the maximum current allowed to flow through the cable.

... more thoughts for a 'nice' installation:

1. the spur should run directly to the fusebox/distribution panel    I agree

2. the T&E should be 2.5mm (not 1.0mm as I found at my sister's house) I disagree. 1mm is fine if protected by 6A breaker

3. the breaker should be 10A or 16A I disagree. Breaker should be 6A

4. the T&E to the fused spur should be in nice white 25x16 trunking if its surface mounted    Not worth debating. As long as it's neat and protected, it's personal choice!

5. the fuse in the spur should be 3A  I agree

6. there should be a neat sticker on the spur that reads:            I agree

ALARM PANEL

FUSE 3A

... then it gets a tick in all the boxes :D

33147[/snapback]

If you don't know......ask.

• 2 months later...

Firstly,

I hope you are a suitably qualified electrician, many houses are burned down by badly installed electrical cables, the new Euro "P" regs do not allow this type of DIY. The basement is not the best area to install any type of electrical apparatus as they are usually damp areas, then again you may not realise this. However other people on this site think you should use T&E to connect to the alarm panel from the spur, they also could be termed AMATEURS. Get some qualified proffesional advice ( accreditations that some firms display does not mean that all their people are all qualified in the relevant electrical field ). ;)

SECBOYS Mate

Firstly,

I hope you are a suitably qualified electrician, many houses are burned down by badly installed electrical cables, the new Euro "P" regs do not allow this type of DIY.

40420[/snapback]

But they still let you smoke in bed!! Thats gotta be more dangerous and causes more fires :w00t:

chris

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

Archived