Security Installer Community

Risco, Upgrade Or Replace

sydeccles

Hi to one and all, I am new to this Forum, so please allow for my ignorance, I also hope I have posted this in the correct place. I am not an installer, (I am a retired automotive electrical design engineer)  although I have installed a few alarms for friends.

I have a holiday Villa in Spain and have a Guardtec 595 Hybrid system, Control Box wired to G-Tag Keypad (01182PA4W) with a Wifi Expander and Wifi PIRs also WiFi door contacts on outbuildings, I also have three G-Tag Fobs and a couple of four button Keyfobs.

So now onto my question (plea for advice and help)

The LCD on the Keypad has blown, so I basically need a new keypad, these keypads are now obsolete, so begs a few questions:-

1) Do I try and source a new keypad?

2) Do I replace the Alarm, if so what with?

3) If I go down another Risco Alarm, what parts of my old alarm, if any can be kept?

Basically need to find the most cost effective option. 

Thanks in advance

Syd

post-71025-0-83362800-1453196463_thumb.j

al-yeti

I appreciate that an LCD can have the odd pixel not displaying, however my Keypad has well and truly blown, heard a bit of a pop when it went, so currently I am  unable to use the alarm.  It will not respond to the Tags or the Remote Fobs.  As said in my post, I need a new Keypad, if I can find one that is, or a new alarm. So begs the question of the best route for me???

I would have thought that staying with Guardtec / Risco would have may have been a favoured option, or do I just bin the lot and start over afresh?

38 views, lots of experts, I was hoping for a little advice on my best option.

Syd

Newer risco lightsys is apparently the experts choice , if you plan to stick with risco

Not my choice but seems if your doing it yourself stick similar model

I am sure experts will turn up soon, they work a bit more than me hence maybe why no reply yet lol

Keypads for that panel are still available, so best route is just to swap it.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Its not a bad system all in all, and if cost is the main consideration I would just replace the keypad.

Be warned there are two types of keypads available - 4 wire & 6 wire ,depending on how old your panel is, it may only accept the 6 wire version (6 wire now obsolete but I've seen an odd one listed on eBay)

The newer versions accept both the 4 wire & 6 wire keypads.

They do a blue LCD version now which looks good.

Do you know when it was installed?

Have you more than one keypad?

Do you set with Gtag Fobs or an ACE?

Edited by aissecur

Thanks for the response

My Keypad  is the 4 wire keypad, I only have one keypad, I installed the Alarm myself in 2010, and I can set it with either the 3 G-Tag Plastic Discs/Proximity Fobs   or with 2 Remote WiFi Key fobs.  post-71025-0-45058500-1453282812_thumb.j post-71025-0-53831400-1453283047_thumb.j

Sorry about the size of the attached photos above

Syd

Edited by sydeccles

The 4 wire keypads come with all new 600,601 panels and will work on the 595 as the later models used the 4 wire. They are readily available to order on the net.

The 2 x WiFi fobs are programmed through the wireless receiver and Prox fobs held in the panel memory. 

A simple swap of keypad will have your system up and running again. New 4 wire keypads are blue backlight.