Security Installer Community

Galaxy Flex 050 - Advice

phkennedy

Hi All,

First time posting - so hello - avid reader, but never have replied or posted.

Background:

DIY'er - Few Systems for Friends and Family, love working at Intruder

Worked for a While as a Engineer in Northern Ireland as part of a wider job role. 

Used to Work for ARC as System Support Engineer looking after IT Platforms managing Monitoring System

Currently Work as IT Network Engineer

I am planning to Install Galaxy Flex 050 System in my house (Flex 050, MK7's, Risco IWISE, Risco Siren, DualCom Monitoring) - just waiting on getting keys. I was going to go down the G2 Route, as I have done numerous installations before, however managed to pick up a second user Flex System (Yes I Know), so thought I would give it a go.

First problem is finding the Engineer Reset Procedure for the Flex - I have it for the G2 and done it before, however not sure if the Flex is the same? Also missing the install manual - so trying to locate this, can anyone offer any advice.

I am aware around the ethics around my above request, but thought I would ask, if I cannot get anywhere, I will just buy a new G2 Panel, however I believe that the DualCOM Module can plug straight onto the Flex Mobo - Has anyone done this? Any advice?

If I got down the route of a G2, any advice on Monitoring - this will be keyholder only evidently, however wanted something more than an onbaord digi - I can get Webway or DualCOM, whats your thoughts.

Many Thanks

-PK

Dualcom is supported on the g2 series either pins or dial capture , I belive WebwayOne is comparable on the g2 via rs485 data line and pins and dial capture (don't use WebwayOne so not 100%)

Reset procedure is the same on the flex as other galaxy's

Only ever fitted one flex. I go with either G2 or a full dimension

Lwillis / Nova-Security,

Many thanks for you're response - much appreciated.

Lwillis - thanks for the info on the Reset procedure. Can I ask if anything major would stop you from running with the Flex? Heard about a few firmware bugs in the early ones, for a basic 8 Zone System with Dualcom any reason not to go ahead or anything to watch out for?

Thanks Again

-PK

Presumably you've seen the SelfMon service provided by GalaxyGuy? It uses the Galaxy Ethernet module rather than DualCom, though provides the same functionality (albeit single-path). However, I'm not sure if it works on the Flex - he'll be able to confirm. GalaxyGuy is probably also able to confirm the various firmware bugs in the Flex platform.

I've not seen a lot of evidence to suggest that Honeywell are putting much effort into Flex. At one point it sounded like it might replace the G2 series, though these are still available, and the Flex doesn't seem to be pushed very hard. We're also on firmware v3 with no sign of it actually being particularly stable from what I've heard.

The Flex is supported in both V1 and V3 variants.  V3.18 seems fine with standard configurations. 

The only issue I have seen with 3.18 is where the customers have more than one ARC (seems common in the Netherlands) and both IP and GSM modules fitted. Every now and again the panel will transmit the other ARC account payload into the wrong receiver - like a broadcast to all receivers.  Until a fix is provided by Honeywell, I have implemented a software based work around to stop the account being blacklisted for this.

I would probably still choose a Dimension 48 over the Flex, but agree with the above that it's not as 'domestic friendly' with default settings. The internal speaker really needs to be switched from 'horn' mode to 'siren' to stop the loud exit tones and set confirmation (it would be so easy to add an option in firmware to change this, but I suppose it causes overlap in the target application for the panel).  Although I also like the big solid wirewound TX, I've seen no issues with the efficient SMPS, and nobody seems to have issues in having these in the vast majority of appliances these days - apart from longer term when cheap leaky caps are used that is...

Nova-Security, popjon, GalaxyGuy,

Thanks for the replies - all useful information.

I think I might look at putting the G2 Panel in - I had thought that Honeywell were going to push Flex in a big way, so much so that G2's may have been phased out. Having installed a few G2's they are very stable, so introducing something like a Flex is not appealing especially as it appears Honeywell have potentially lost interest in it's development and the few bugs

I'll get myself a G2 - I have seen the SelfMON System and really is impressive - initially I think I will go with DualCOM on Dial Capture then once I get my Internet Service  installed I will go down the SelfMON route, getting DualCOM at mates rates from the ARC I used to work in.

Thanks Again

-PK