Security Installer Community

Help With Installing Castle Caretech Euro46 With Expander

Harvir93

Hi guys. New to this forum.

I've recently extended my house and fitted a new alarm system to with it. The security shop sold me a euro 46 with a zem8 expander module. I've fitted the alarm, programmed it and got it to the point of the walk test. It's recognising everything on the main panel but none of the pirs or door contacts on the expander.

I've never fitted an alarm but I'm a gas fitter and electrician so didn't think it would be to difficult.

Thanks.

If I came onto a gas fitters forum and said I once plumbed in an outside tap, and work in IT, so thought installing a boiler would be a piece of p155 what would your likely reaction be?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Apologies if it sounded harsh and I should have added I've never touched a Castle alarm since approx 2003, when it was proper old school stuff with telephone keypad RKPs, so can't actually help...

What checks have you done to make sure the expander is being recognised and has the correct voltage, wiring tests etc...?

Forget the actual detectors for now - I would wire a resistor of the correct EOL value into an expander zone and take it from there.

This could be no more than a programming issue as H says of course...

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Thanks for the replies. And I completely understand where you're coming from. in terms of wiring I've used the deol line method with 2k2 and 4k7 resistors. In terms of programming the pirs and contacts are being picked up by the keypad under the diagnostics of the system for the expander. I've addressed the expander as 1 with the dip switch and 1 on the keypad. Resistances are being shown as 2.2 closed and 6.8 open for the inputs on both the main panel and expander. In terms of voltage to the expander it's showing 13.7v. I have a green flashing light on the expander which in the manual says it means data is ok. It should be solid according to the manual. Maybe a faulty unit?

Thanks for the reply Lwillis. I uninstalled the zem from address 1. Reinstalled to 0. Moved the dipswitch back to 0 and pressed the reset switch for more than 5 secs. However when I now go into diagnostic it gives me a blank screen for the inputs of zem0. Any idea why that might be the case?