Security Installer Community

Control Panel In Kitchen

matt6697

Hi

Just woundering if its ok to install a control panel within a kitchen area the fused spur would be mounted at cieling height from a cieling rose connected to the lighting for the house which is located within the loft space!. 

The panel would be very clear of the surfaces within the kitchen but at an acceble height on the wall adjacent to the living room. 

Also it's away from the cooker and any sources of steam like a kettle!.  It will be placed within a closed kitchen cabinet in the future would this be acceptable its's just in terms of the security and what the client wants it'd be the best place to install. 

I understand that since 2013 kitchens were taken off from part P as special locations would this till be ok?

cheers

Id question why would you want to, but I suppose the answer is there isnt anywhere else. Kitchens will get damp occasionally, condensation from cooking and when the kettle goes wrong, not really a good place to put a bit of electronics that could cause a whole lot of noise should it go wrong.

WTF? If it can't be dedicated, I always put the panel on the lighting circuit, even if it means extra work.

Lights either don't have RCD protection, or get fixed quickly. Sockets can trip and get left off for hours or even days.

Slightly less relevant now with all RCD boards I grant you.

The average panel takes less current than an standard 100W lightbulb.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Yeah that what i thought, not on one of my jobs.

Because its a lighting circuit!

No, it's a 6 or 10amp radial circuit with lights on it.

Taking the feed from that radial circuit for your panel via a fused spur is perfectly acceptable.

Technically there's no need for the fused spur as this is only there to protect the cable not the panel hence panel manufacturers have there own mains fuse inside to protect the panel.

Thought for a minute you'd thought I wasn't using a spur...!

Re-read it now and get you. Exactly, it's a circuit like any other that happens to be mostly used for lights.

What next, no TV amp in the loft?

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Problem with using the lighting circuit is that when a bulb blows it takes a trip with it

But bulbs aren't usually on when the property is empty for a week...

And thats a common cause, bulb blows, householder replaces, circuit back on.

Whereas power circuit trips, cause unknown, owner shrugs shoulders, repair time variable.

Rcbo on it own circuit?

Thats fine, still often reset / resettable quicker than a power circuit trup.

And fixed circuits mean few changes, more stability. No car boot battery chargers being added to circuit

and causing random trips.

Edited by datadiffusion

Am I missing something? If the power is coming from the loft space, why cant you put the panel in the loft, or are you not using a remote keypad?

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)