Security Installer Community

Wireless Alarm

Tony Laramy

right, after a fair amount of research I am now completely confused. the wife wants to get an alarm for the house, the requirements are below.

- has to be wireless

- keypad cannot go by the front door as no power socket and will be hidden away, near router and electrics ( will need a remote key fob to unset on entry)

- requires min 2 door contacts, 1 - 2 pir

- external bell

- she wants to part arm system ( so that she can come down in the night and not set off alarm, but door contacts stay alarmed)

now the bad part, she only wants to spend around the £200 ish mark, I know this wont get the best in the world but could go a little higher.

from what I can see we are in the yale budget.... any suggestions ??

now the bad part, she only wants to spend around the £200 ish mark, I know this wont get the best in the world but could go a little higher.

Quick question Tony - roughly what is your house worth - forget the contents, just the house?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

The only way you will get an alarm for that cost is to look for a company that fits them cheaper but locks you into a monitoring/maintenance contract, other than that the Yale route is about your only option but don't expect to get much advice about that kind of system on here as this is a forum for professional installers.

If you are able to convince yourself you will get 'peace of mind' at £200, I genuinely, and this is no joke, would not actually bother

with any of the rubbish you'll get at that price point and spend £10 on a dummy bellbox.

It will be just as effective at stopping a determined intruder as it is at warding off a casual one.

But better yet it will never false alarm, never require servicing, batteries, or the hastle of telling friends and neighbours

how to operate it.

• Upvote 2

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Protecting a 350k house with a 200 quid alarm, baffles me...

The house is well secure and if someone did get in they wouldn't be leaving, not unless they were on a stretcher. It's more peace of mind for the wife.

I came on here for some advice and I've got it. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Right. After more research I see what you guys are saying. No yale for me lol. Is there anyone in the Surrey south London areas who will install a wireless alarm. Requirements are wireless, 3 pirs, 2 door contacts, 3remote key fobs as alarm control pad not by front door. Thanks

Right. After more research I see what you guys are saying. No yale for me lol. Is there anyone in the Surrey south London areas who will install a wireless alarm. Requirements are wireless, 3 pirs, 2 door contacts, 3remote key fobs as alarm control pad not by front door. Thanks

Fair play - this has to be a first though!

Shame Arf isn't around. [An installer in your area AFAIK who used to frequent these boards]

Like- wanting to charge extra for saturday installation, when I say extra were talking £100

£100 extra for a Saturday is cheap, How much do you think an alarm engineer earns?, they really dont need to work weekends so when you want them to you have to motivate them properly. My chaps would want far more than £100 extra to work on a Saturday they are far to busy watching dancing girls and lighting cigars with tenners at weekends

Id agree £100 is cheap for a Saturday install. Is that the only issue you have with them?

£100 extra for a Saturday is cheap, How much do you think an alarm engineer earns?, they really dont need to work weekends so when you want them to you have to motivate them properly. My chaps would want far more than £100 extra to work on a Saturday they are far to busy watching dancing girls and lighting cigars with tenners at weekends

I'm on a decent wage Peter but I can't say I'd use tenners my cigars.... Fivers maybe.

Weekend time with family is worth more than £100 in my book