Security Installer Community

Single 8 Core Cable Feeding Two Detectors

matt6697

Hi, 

After inspecting the wiring from a previous installation I've noticed that the person who installed the wiring originally has used an 8 core cable to supply two detectors, and connect the global tamper in series which to me seems acceptable, but they have also spured the 12V supplies from one detector to anther.  

Would this be acceptable if I left it as it is?, as each zone will still be independent from one another?, just to be honest I've never really come across many cases like this and if it was me I would use a 6 core cable for each detector! 

Edited by matt6697

No problemo, you are lucky they didnt wire 5 detectors off of 1 8core

• Upvote 1

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I went to a job yesterday service by a company with three letters. They have a G2-44 and a Fox PIR!! Now who is going to admit being old enough to remember the Fox !

1st **** we fitted £26 ish IIRC?

post-17668-0-42162600-1448564130_thumb.j

not something we fitted but changed to e-line earlier this year

Mr? Veritas God

Was in an 80s new build finishing off today, started Tuesday and there was the remains of an old 2 zone type key system but nothing worth reusing cable wise, redone from scratch.

Lol at them bashing multiple holes with a hammer for mains from roof until they worked out where the joist was. Tiny ceiling so not visible without ladder and shelving removed.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Was in an 80s new build finishing off today, started Tuesday and there was the remains of an old 2 zone type key system but nothing worth reusing cable wise, redone from scratch.

Lol at them bashing multiple holes with a hammer for mains from roof until they worked out where the joist was. Tiny ceiling so not visible without ladder and shelving removed.

Come on man , I told you I am the house basher

I think its mad when just one core is used for a zone and all the cores are accounted for with power and all the zones using 1 core.

its nice and tidy at the panel end very few cables don't get me wrong but it isn't good when things start going wrong with the system.

I think its mad when just one core is used for a zone and all the cores are accounted for with power and all the zones using 1 core.

its nice and tidy at the panel end very few cables don't get me wrong but it isn't good when things start going wrong with the system.

What you mean one core? You mean one cable daisy chained?

data Pirs seem the future really , brought up here before , data bus instead of having to use so many cores or have so many cables, keypads already doing it, makes sense for detectors to

Edited by al-yeti

Thing is it's come and gone before, Risco bus etc...

I did think Texe were working on one though?

Be ace if it was just 2 wires in, 2 wires out and no polarity etc... with star/spur wiring no issue.

Still think it would have the edge over wireless

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands