Security Installer Community

Cctv Behind Two Routers

antinode

Evening gents,

Bit of a strange one, but hopefully someone can help. Got a site we've just installed CCTV on and the customer wants remote access. The NVR is on the internal network OK. When trying to set up the ports, I noted the WAN IP of the Draytek had a local address, and on further investigation it seems as though the customer's internal network goes through two routers. The broadband comes in through the Infinity modem, goes into a Cisco router which then goes into a Draytek Vigor 2860 router, to which our CCTV is connected (via a 4 port switch off the PC next to the NVR 80 metres away). I thought it might be a bit of a long shot, but I've tried to forward ports on both routers with no joy (I know port forwarding isn't ideal, but the customer is happy with this (there's loads of them forwarded anyway)). Running a CAT5 back to the comms room is going to be a major ball ache and all other ports nearby are on the Draytek router, too. Any ways around this without getting too involved? Site has no IT support as such, just "a guy" on site that looks after it. He didn't really seem to know a lot about what was going on (routers all on default log ins etc, so I'm guessing it was set up in-house)

I will likely going to tell him to get someone in to do it, but it'd be interesting to know if it's possible either way!

Trade Member

That was my first thought (or just plug straight into the Cisco) but new cabling is going to be a nightmare. Unless I can use the existing port for my NVR and plug the customer's PC into the next closest socket, splitting via a switch if needs be?

Trade Member