Security Installer Community

Increase In Wireless Issues

GalaxyGuy

Really needed exact times, but at less than a minute I'm assuming more than two seconds, so sounds like a different issue.  Since Honeywell have updated that V3.00 firmware, you need to get the latest. 

The support isn't great these days, as when I asked them about issues, they said that domestic appliances like microwaves Etc. need to be switched off.  Have you checked the max noise levels in the diags logs for the module and devices ?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked them about issues, they said that domestic appliances like microwaves Etc. need to be switched off

Hahahaha. Gotta love tech support these days. Presumably you need to request that your neighbours also turn off their microwaves? What about Wi-Fi networks - do they need to be switched off too?

Bloody Honeywell.

its in side a minute, not sure how many seconds. log dosent show seconds. whats involved updating portal firmware? i phoned tech support, he told me to delete everything and start adding detectors one at the time, just to see when jam pops up again. system was running fine first 24h and after adding boxed rio in garage then problems started. rf100 v3.00 ch1 noise0,ch2 noise0. and no warnings. i switched off 4g router and still rf jams poped up. house is not finished and its empty there is no microwave signals and no nabers in 300m radius. fitted flex 20 with 3x contact/viper+ wireless smoke detector, then boxed rio, 30m away from house. need to get this sorted and that would be my last flex install lol.

Okay, I'm forgetting that you don't get to see how many seconds in the panel log. I see this in the self monitoring which gives a more granular time stamp.   But within the same minute in your log.  I have the same setup here in the office, so will try to replicate your issue.  Is the RIO you have fitted in the garage a new (blue PCB) or old variant ? f/w ?

I've seen an issue in the protocol used by the panel/portal when a certain bus traffic condition occurs. I thought that this only caused a portal tamper and RF jam at the same time, but it's possible that the issue may manifest differently depending on the bus devices in play.  If many customers are seeing this when adding a RIO to the Flex, then it's possible that it's the same root cause.  I think the clue is that there's no max noise registered, but a jam is recorded.

Because it will cause allot of issues just to fill there pockets selling off frequencies

What about equipment compatibility?

Like you said tell all your customers ofcoms sold it so not our fault yeah?

its a new blue rio i think, not 100% sure now i had fiew here, cant remember which one i picked up. I have spoke to guy from honeywell and he said that there is not been many faults with portals, but i might be unlucky and have faulty one. Supplier have agreed to give me new portal with latest firmware, fingers crossed that that will cure my problems.

I'm not sure what's going on at the moment, but certainly seeing Honeywell systems with some issues.  Perhaps the Honeywell has tighter parameters for RF noise triggering a Jam.  I believe it's a 3 minute period of signal jam that constitutes a jam tamper.  I am not sure what the protocol does underneath that as far as signal levels Etc, but there's no real way of preventing the tamper at the panel side when the RF portal is fitted.

If this does have something to do with mobile comm's (speculation at the moment), then it could mean trouble ahead...    I really hope not.

We've had a couple of issues with devices being jammed and it turned out to be ***** duracel batteries with a low O/P!! When batteries changed for GP cells the units performed fine!!

• 3 weeks later...

I see a lot of you saying an rf explorer is good to have in our game, is this a good way of testing if the panel range will reach an area and vice versa or not? if i wanted to put a wireless contact on an outbuilding for example and wasn't sure of the range?

Edited by Rob Kirk

Not really, the best tool for a survey is the one provided by the manufacturer themselves, although not sure how many do any more other than scanny.

Suppose at worst you could do no more than place a panel demo case (Enforcer for example) vaguely in the final location at the property and take a TX to the furthest point, etc...

The explorer IMHO is only of use for troubleshooting after a recurring but intermittent or persistent RF error or alert.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands