Security Installer Community

Increase In Wireless Issues

GalaxyGuy

https://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/rf-explorer-3g-combo.html

They are good for the money. Fragile though - power switch and USB has broken on mine and it's always been taken care of.

It will pick up most accidental sources of jamming, but miss intentional because of the slow sweep speed. A SDR is better to pick up intentional jamming.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A thing you plug into your computer, it receives a wide-ish bit of the spectrum (5MHz-100Mhz, typically), and you can show it on your screen as a spectrum or waterfall:

http://nansupport.com/images/rfexplorer/heatmap-800x349.png

Difference between the RF Explorer and SDR is that the RF Explorer sweeps - starts at 858MHz and slowly goes up to 878MHz, whereas an SDR can receive the whole 20MHz instantly. Just means you can miss things.

so best we have this bit of test gear generally. Is it something i could use and understand?

I think so. It's just setting a frequency range, and it does the rest of it pretty much automatically.

Problem is, once you've found there is another signal, what do you do?

Yes, it's a bit like these companies that offer fullbody CT scans with no preexisting symptoms.

Who's to say you won't see the same interference on another site that never has and never will have issues?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

The one I've seen a few times is cheap baby monitors that transmit a continuous signal in 868MHz, they are quite obvious. But lots of other stuff is much harder to track down.

The standard says that for grade 1 and 2, it's 31s out of 60s to signal jamming, 3 and 4, 11s out of 20s. Many of them also detect if messages are dropped, but only if they have 2-way RF.

Most of the systems use 2-FSK, so pick a signal that approximately matched the bit-rate of that and toggle between the two.

So you end up with:

• FSK signal modulated at 9600Hz or something - this interferes with the signal itself
  • Switch that on and off at 0.05s (i.e. 20Hz) - this stops the jamming detection being triggered, but is often enough to interfere. Might have to up the frequency a bit here for some systems.

The problem is that with the 2-way RF gear, they have two types of jamming detection:

1. Signal strength or RSSI based - this is what the standard describes and is all that 1-way can do.

2. Pings - send a message to detector, if it doesn't come back, get worried.

The Enforcer will almost certainly do both.

There's loads of interesting stuff you can do with jamming, but probably not for discussion in public.

Here's a copy of a bulletin I got in June hope it helps someone

To highlight reports from the field, of “RF Jamming” and still slow responses from the DO8M on the G2 panel with the new RF portal sw version 3.00

Issue:

This is similar to an earlier issue on the RF portal whereby an issue which can occur as a result of the RF Portal acknowledging the DO8M transmission.

Delays of up to three seconds can be experienced between the DO8M activation and the RF portal processing the signal.

In addition to this “RF Jamming” now appears once the portal has been installed.

The issue lies with the RF portal V3.00 only.

Solution:

The RF portals can be upgraded in the field using the flash programmer (A221) and the associated sw file. 

Trade Member

What is the new version for the V3.00 based module ?   Pretty peeved at Honeywell support, as they did not provide this to me as part of my investigations into RF issues. They only updated on the other two F135 firmwares. Very poor comm's.  I also think that the panel firmwares need to at least be adjustable on the 31 second front, otherwise there is no last resort...

Just to clarify that there are now three versions of the G2/Flex/Dimension portal available (as far as compatible firmware goes that is):

1. The original C079 which can have rotary address dial or fixed jumpers: V1.08

2. The Rev F2 C079 portal which has pcb trace aerial: V2.11

3. The latest Rev A2 C079 portal with optional Russian frequency and test mode for visual (LED) signal strength: V3.0X

-- For those who have purchased one of my G2 USB leads - As well as programming the G2, this lead can be used to flash upgrade the RF modules.

I am also releasing an updated firmware for the LCE-01 Ethernet module to resolve a (very intermittent) protocol issue when the virtualkeypad is used alongside the RF portal. The LCE is  V2.20

Dimension Firmware is at: V6.92 (enables outputs on apps)  (although 520 and 264 cannot be used with the app until a new app release is available - Ethernet modules drop offline with the current app)

G2 Firmware: V1.56

Galaxy G3: V5.55

E080-2 Ethernet: V2.11

E080-4 Ethernet: V3.05

Flex V3:  V3.18

IB-Ethernet (Flex V3): V1.02

Edited by GalaxyGuy

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed flex20 3weeks ago and after day2 have a loads of rf100 jam's. Something is jamming portal, moved to to different location and its just same. Problem is that site is in other country. is there any way i can sort that firmware problem over network? i have gx remote control access to site. Or i can send them new portal with new firmware and return that for warranty? flex20 is 3.18, portal is V 3.00. i have another site with G3 v6.84 and portal v2.11 and working very well, no problems at all.

thnx

M

Edited by marx

reading some older posts, looks like other people had problems when fitted portal and rio on flex. and thinking back i think that thats what happened. First day everything was ok, second day i connected rio in garage and thats when rf jam's started. Good that i have spare cables to garage, might need to get some one to connect some zones straight back to panel.

In the log, how much time between the +JAM and the -JAM events ?

I am trying to determine if this is the same type of protocol issue that I found with concurrent JAM+Tamper when the portal is fitted with the Ethernet module.