Security Installer Community

Power Drill

Not sure if this is the correct area to post.

I'm looking for recommendations for a new drill.

I've got a dewalt for general work but need something with a kick that can get through outside walls etc. Also cordless.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

i use a dewault 18v for fixings stuff up with but have a 36v sds drill for big work. sds drill is erbauer from screwfix at £250, dont know how long it will last but its been ok for 4 months, however the smaller 18v erbaur drill i bough broke so i replaced it with the dewault version.

I've got a dewalt for general work but need something with a kick that can get through outside walls etc. Also cordless.

If your only doing fixings & say a cable for a EWD, a body only sds to match your current Dewalt batterys ?

I have old Makita 24v SDS which appear to have bit more go than  the latest Hitachi 24v SDS we bought

Mr? Veritas God

Currently using an 18v Dewalt combi drill for smaller jobs and the 36v Erbauer SDS from Screwfix. The SDS is pretty decent for the price. I drilled a 10mm hole through a foot and a half of precast concrete with it a few weeks ago. Used both batteries and smelled a bit hot but managed OK! It'll fire fixing holes in engineering brick and concrete no problems. Batteries don't last too long is my only complaint (I think they're only 2ah?)

Edited by antinode

Trade Member

When I was a kid we did a concrete grain silo on dock,

I was loaned a viz jacket & a Hilti TE5 110v SDS as at the time both where rather expensive...

I recall the hilti being a right beast ;)

Yrs later I replaced the DT & did the fixing holes with 24v makita, I was surprised as I came with corded SDS as I was expecting bother

Mr? Veritas God

24v Bosch which is 12 years old and still going but in new batteries

18v Dewalt / Milwalkie / erbaurer for the fixings side of it

Time for a new SDS as the Bosch will **** itself some day, might just go for the erbauer 24v SDS its 2 years warrenty?

24v makita here, i have drilled 4" core holes with it before.

If drilling 20mm plus holes through brick or concrete bolcks ect... i start with 8mm, then 12mm, then 16mm ect drill bits. stops the batteries getting caned.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

24v makita here, i have drilled 4" core holes with it before.

If drilling 20mm plus holes through brick or concrete bolcks ect... i start with 8mm, then 12mm, then 16mm ect drill bits. stops the batteries getting caned.

You will make h jealous