Security Installer Community

Odyssey X Sounder

bennynoneck

Hi. Just a quick question if I may.

I'm looking to fit one tight up against my soffit but before I order one I see that it seems to be hinged at the top.

Has anyone fitted one of these? If so could you tell me whether I can fit the cover without having to hinge it from the top?

I was hoping to drop the cable through the soffit.

Ta!

cheers.

The soffits hang over about about 2 courses already so that's going to be a long hole to drill. But it's gotta be done so cheers all or the advice.

Have some Polyfila a ready for the room inside if you get it wrong

Overhang doesn't matter, above suggested your drilling in the wall one course down 45angle , depends on how your house is made up , some have the inner wall in the way and you have to feel quite far down where the cable is , just shove loads of cable in from outside and if you don't have rods use a metal coat hanger as a hook to poke in from inside the roof to the eaves to find cable

More difficult to handle up a ladder though...

I always use metre drill bit for bell cable, up a ladder, obviously you have to stand a rung or 2 down but i reckon its piss easy.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

makita 24v sds

Yup same here with a massive drill bit.

Finding cavities bridged at the top a lot now though, (houses approx 2000 onwards?) with thick cement laid onto a plastic former.

That said if you're expecting it, one of the benefits of a long drill, just keep on going...

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Replicate the angle of the roof as a guide and you shouldnt go far wrong.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Yeah I was trying to be clever, it was a wooden framed nightmare, victorian hospital conversion with shallow roof and stud built interior walls built approx 1' out from the real walls (which themselves were a foot think and no cavity)

No access to the stud cavity from above either due to layers and layers of opposing joists with new and old roof flooring! (I think it consists of original + 1950's + 2007 stuff)

The roof would have once been used for storage (probably up to a certain time point) but even after that was boarded out to allow inspection of pipes etc...

When the block was divided into townhouses, my parents got the original (stone built) staircase, but the later wooden 1950's era prefab stairs up to the loft was removed (we saw the pics - you can still see the opening into the loft (blocked with new plasterboard) and top of the handrail from the loft itself though! Sadly there are few other pics as the unit was very well guarded from closure in 1995 to building work not really that much later, starting from in 2005 with demolition of the 1950's/60s **** surrounding the listed victorian stuff, so it avoided the whole 'urbex' scene. Also my parents bit was the admin block anyway.

Otherwise I'm pretty proud of my fishing history :)

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Yup same here with a massive drill bit.

Finding cavities bridged at the top a lot now though, (houses approx 2000 onwards?) with thick cement laid onto a plastic former.

That said if you're expecting it, one of the benefits of a long drill, just keep on going...

Cavities were always supposed to be closed, capped off, but most builders didnt. Cavities now are generally not closed to remove the thermal bridge, but the insulation in the cavity carries on up through the loft in one continuous sheet for want of a better word. Should be no gaps.

As Rich says, all common sense.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

lol!

Cavities were always supposed to be closed, capped off, but most builders didnt. Cavities now are generally not closed to remove the thermal bridge, but the insulation in the cavity carries on up through the loft in one continuous sheet for want of a better word. Should be no gaps.

You learn something new every day!