Security Installer Community

Installer Pet Hates?

Hi All, 

I wondering if you can help me? I don't want to offend or disrespect anyone so I'll be completely honest - I'm tasked with researching a new system for a mainstream manufacturer. We've not made a new system for a while and I'm looking to get some feedback before we kick off the design.

I was hoping you guys could post your pet hates, favourite features, most often installed systems here for me? Also how many zones does the average system you fit have - at G2 or G3. Basically, I'm trying to get my superiors to listen to the "voice of the customer" before going off and designing something new because we think it's great, without checking what you think is great...

Sorry I can't tell you more than that - however I do promise that in a year or so, when it's released, I'll come back and tell you what you contributed to...

If this is not a good thing to ask then please just tell me and I'll leave you alone!

Thanks in advance

Tom Finchley

What market sector are aiming at?

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Don't release anything until you have fully tested it, installers don't like beta testing for free

And when you need to speak to tech support, the line "i have never heard of that before and you are the first with this problem" doesnt work either when installers use forums to talk about kit.

What market sector are aiming at?

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Don't release anything until you have fully tested it, installers don't like beta testing for free

This has always been at the top of my list of manufacturers failing to do their research and development for themselves. There is nothing worse in my opinion of installing a panel and it has bugs that have been not picked up before releasing it. Hmmmm just wondering if there should be a compensation plan in place to reclaim lost time and embarrassment for unsuspecting installers who expect quite rightly that stuff should work fit for the purpose intended.

I have a pet hate of some panels have very limited power supplies and transformers that are not changable without taking the enclosures off the wall to do so.

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

I agree with making sure its fully tested, that includes updates to fix one problem which appears to break something else because its not been fully tested before being released, it does slow down the release process mind.

Being able to have mutipul connections to the panel on the same module, ip modules for example often only allow one connection.

Keep anything that's on view sexy, there is so dam ugly kit about and customers are getting more vain.

Expandable panels to go either hard wired or wireless.

Panels that are truly expandable to utilise every zone its capable of using any of the technologies, rather then having to make up the total between different technologies

Updating of firmware notification required with what its fixed in the mail, the ability to update panels firmware and peripherals remotely via ip, without losing data from the original configuration.

In answer to the question, domestic small 8 is normally enough, domestic large could be more than 100 we have a couple of very large houses with 100 or more zones.

Commercial the same, though some can go quite a bit bigger. 

Today I quoted a 20 zone domestic, a 70 zone commercial, an 8 zone domestic and a 9 zone panic system. That's not an average day but I would guess I get at least one day like this a month  

For me I tend to do mostly domestics, average zones 11. If possible I like to have a panel that can do upto 16 wired zones with the facility to add wireless.

Pet hate is coming across a panel that has a completely impossible programming tree to follow.

For me I'm finding Risco lightsys2 to fit that hate.

For me I tend to do mostly domestics, average zones 11. If possible I like to have a panel that can do upto 16 wired zones with the facility to add wireless.

Pet hate is coming across a panel that has a completely impossible programming tree to follow.

For me I'm finding Risco lightsys2 to fit that hate.

Sounds like you need to look at hkc , 70zones wired data, wireless on board , 10zones available standard

Pet hates?

Customers.

Only those that lie through their teeth or thought they knew more than you as to how the alarm actually works :) However i don't think the manufactures can design that out :)

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Hi All, 

I wondering if you can help me? I don't want to offend or disrespect anyone so I'll be completely honest - I'm tasked with researching a new system for a mainstream manufacturer. We've not made a new system for a while and I'm looking to get some feedback before we kick off the design.

I was hoping you guys could post your pet hates, favourite features, most often installed systems here for me? Also how many zones does the average system you fit have - at G2 or G3. Basically, I'm trying to get my superiors to listen to the "voice of the customer" before going off and designing something new because we think it's great, without checking what you think is great...

Sorry I can't tell you more than that - however I do promise that in a year or so, when it's released, I'll come back and tell you what you contributed to...

If this is not a good thing to ask then please just tell me and I'll leave you alone!

Thanks in advance

Tom Finchley

Has Risco finally got its act together, i doubt it.

Scanny or whatever its known as now - possibility - as they have been going down hill.

Tex, doubt they would out-source it but as far as i know have stopped ******* about.

Pyronix - same old **** - dont give a **** - shame castle merged.

Honeywell, not sure, dont think they give **** anyway.

Who do we reckon it is then, yale, lol

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

They could, they could design systems they sell direct and then support them foc so there's no need for professionals.... Oh!

That would just change the people who they would lie to Norman

No, they only lie when faced with the possibility of an invoice.

That's the same difference. They buy direct fit it themselves and then lie to get their money back when they say it didn't work. This aspect means they lie after they have paid so it's not the invoice factor (although that has always been a factor conventionally) its just that the average Joe hasn't got a clue.

From a business point of view one requires to make a consistent and growing profit. From a customers point of view they just want something that works properly and consistently fit for the purpose it was bought for.

So from a manufactures point of view they need a product or products that will serve the requests and desires of both the middle men and the end customer so go figure as they say over the pond!

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for the info so far.

Really useful stuff, especially regarding how many zones you are using. It seems to me that the best solution may be to have a few more on board zones to cut down the number of expander boards required. 

As I said before can't give much info, but I will definitely come back when it's done and will try (though I can't promise, because it's not up to me) to come back with some BETA units for testing when we have them at some far off point in the future.

One more question - Any features which you might find useful, or ones you've seen so far that you use all the time?

Target market - The new system will be aimed at the middle of the sector - so anything from small commercial up to relatively large systems for buildings with 100-200 people probably not too much at the very high end. We want the system to be targeted specifically at professionals rather than home users or DIY'ers.

cheers

Tom

Hmm sounds like the programming will need a laptop! I don't carry a laptop all the time.

You are going to miss out on a large chunk of the market place if you exclude the domestic market.

Being a smaller independent, I would be reluctant to try a new model that has no working history.

Still be interested see what you come up with.

it would be nice to have it available across all platforms, not sure even a largish screen phone is suitable, I use a 10inch tablet upgraded to windows 10 so not a major issue for me.

May be its a new manufacturing company that is starting up that sold up a few years ago?