Security Installer Community

Texecom Premier Install Trouble!

So is it working correctly or not?

You really need to post pictures.

If you are training to be an alarm fitter / engineer, you need to vastly improve your basic electronics and fault finding skills.

I am assuming you are employed, if you are, you going to be Sugared, very soon, if you do not get your head around it.

I do not know if this is a real job or a training exercise?

Is the Sensor New out of a sealed box?

Because, if I wanted to test a rookie, I work give them a busted sensor and see if they can fault find it.

The AED-0001, has 2 reeds in parallel. If this has been given to you as a test, you might have one of the reeds Open Circuit.

Do a magnetic range test.

Fix it to the middle of a bit of wood or table, put an ohm meter across the reed terminals(Nothing else). Place the magnet on the left with the tops aligned,  As per section 7 of the Installation Instructions(INS324), Very Slowly move the magnet away, keeping the tops aligned. Mark with a pencil, the point the continuity breaks. Now repeat moving it closer again. Stop and mark the point the continuity returns.

Now repeat for the other side of the sensor. Now measure the distantes of the make / break marks both sides.

Both sides show be similar and should be with the values quoted in Section 7. 

Come and share you finding on here, also take a picture.

This should take not more than 15 Minutes and you will learn a little about the behavior of reed switches, make / break distances and the hysteresis(Google it).

If you have a bad reed, the measurements will show it.

Currently the contact is working using a pair for reed and a pair for tamper and the zone set up as "normally closed".

I tried all the different wiring configurations provided using the resistors but none of them seemed to operate in the manner I would have liked it to work, i.e door contact and shock sensor.

I shall post pictures as soon as available as it's currently installed at a friends house,

The sensor was brand new out of the box and I have tested to see if it doe work correctly and have proved it does, however as I stated not with the resistors.

I accept your comments that I need to vastly improve me knowledge and experience and I am trying to work very hard and quickly to grasp all the vast knowledge that all the more experienced engineers out there have.

I have recently changed careers and perhaps this is why you may all feel my understanding of this subject is slow.......