Security Installer Community

What Should Happen During Power Cut?

dwdave

I don't know if a power cut or a breaker tripping works the same way - electronically speaking ...

but my breaker just tripped and my external box started singing.

I was under the impression that the on board batteries in the panel and in bell box should take care of it for a while ?

'till the next question ...

Been up to check the panel etc,

the panel and the smart rio each have a new NP7 battery.

if i pull the power to both, the smart rio stays lit up, but the panel drops straight out.

Im guessing that there is some kind of a changeover that isnt happening?

This is why diy shouldn't be having ago at alarms and trying to use old kit.

I did post this in the diy forum which is Kindly laid on by the TSI admin. I guess if they didn't want to help diyers then they would remove this forum completely and the helpful people who have continued to help me wouldn't do so.

Didn't you bring up the issue of no power on battery leads , and then was advised that you need to connect the batteries etc

You may have mentioned you had to replace a fuse can't remember, perhaps this is why this panel is spare, where did you get it?

Al-yeti

Yes, that was the smart psu that needed the battery to provide power to the relay to engage the charging circuit. The fuses I changed were also on the smart psu.

It's the panel now. This is my panel. The system recognises when the battery is disconnected because the keypad reports it via the led.

"...but my breaker just tripped and my external box started singing..."

What's done is done Lwillis, although I agree with you the fact remains that the OP has a problem and we are here to sort it out, You have more than 2000 posts to your credit, surely at least some of them were helpful to 'diyers', that point takes nothing away from your obvious expertise however, which I hold in great admiration.

DWdave, how do you know that the breaker tripped before the external warning device activated, were you there when it happened ? Did this occur during the early hours or during the daytime ? Help me out here, what precisely is your 'breaker' being used for.. as a trip for the sounders possibly, or what ? With the fault in situ (not cleared) check the hold off voltage at the warning device (up the ladder..not at the control panel), it should be about twelve volts (or thereabouts)..Let the site know..Did you have a thunder and lightning storm or a power cut last night ?  ".....but the panel drops straight out..." on brand new batteries ? Check that battery voltage and ALL the fuses.