Security Installer Community

Engineers Codes

Discussion on a FB group at the moment. It's a closed group but no questions are asked when signing up. Someone asked the question wether it was right or not for people to be sharing out engineer codes as freely as has been happening. Seems to be some mixed responses. I know my opinion, just want to get people's responses on here. What is the legality involved in a group like that?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Discussion on a FB group at the moment. It's a closed group but no questions are asked when signing up. Someone asked the question wether it was right or not for people to be sharing out engineer codes as freely as has been happening. Seems to be some mixed responses. I know my opinion, just want to get people's responses on here. What is the legality involved in a group like that?

What's the name of the group?

dont share engineer codes from  my end either its meant to be a security device not a free for all.

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

I dont see why most would be interested a takover should be defaulted 

aye like that happens,ok on a corner shop try doing it on a big warehouse with all that goes with it,maint money gone in a few call backs

If you were the owner of a national company say and your code was being dished around publicly on a Facebook group, what would your response be??

I'd roll a Cuban on my hoe's thigh and laugh.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

It should be in the initial contract that at the termination of that contract the company shall default the engineer code. I know of a few installers who insert that clause. At the end of the day, a customer has bought a product. It belongs to the customer and there should be no 'unfair contract clause'. On the other hand, if the contract stipulates that a customer, on cessation of the contract should pay a nominal sum for default, then so be it. Engineer codes are essentially the private property (in a sense) of the company and should not be divulged. However there is a very fine line (only determined by the intentions of the parties)as to defaulting...

Edited by charlie6

aye like that happens,ok on a corner shop try doing it on a big warehouse with all that goes with it,maint money gone in a few call backs

I used to enjoy pulling a system apart and starting from scratch on take overs. Takes a fraction of the time if there are two of you though and half a day to do it thoroughly, which you don't often get anymore. I was the only engineer in the company at first so it made sense to know every system inside out. Rarely touch alarms now.

why you have the code,you can look at prog and rewrite spec,as opposed to crash a panel with no spec you dont know users or set up,fine on 6 zones

id still default wouldnt trust the outgoing firm as being any good, thats probably why its a takeover. Im sure you have seen spared of circuits on yours.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

id still default wouldnt trust the outgoing firm as being any good, thats probably why its a takeover. Im sure you have seen spared of circuits on yours.

the opposite,if its spare and no paperwork put it back in and see what happens,sick of the what do you mean its not on it should be question from a customer

im sure we have both done takovers where the customer had no idea a lot of it was spared off

sick off? the customer is aware?, not usually

ive spent days and weeks in one case doing a takeover when crashing was the only option,much rather have a eng code to see what is what first rather than crash for crash sake

ive spent days and weeks in one case doing a takeover when crashing was the only option,much rather have a eng code to see what is what first rather than crash for crash sake

disagree id crash and start from scratch

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

We rarely crash systems on takeovers unless really necessary. Codes and tags being main issue and time allowed. We do fully test system and document spared out zones and advise customer of findings. Usually if they're unaware of zone programmed out were put it on test for a week and see what happens. Any faults found are usually chargeable to put right.

Once a code is programmed into a system, you have no control over who can read it (used panels on ebay etc). Hopefully you do not use common codes across all your accounts!!! If every account eng code is specific to the account, it would then be easier to trace the person leaking sensitive company information.

Once a code is programmed into a system, you have no control over who can read it (used panels on ebay etc). Hopefully you do not use common codes across all your accounts!!! If every account eng code is specific to the account, it would then be easier to trace the person leaking sensitive company information.

How many codes you decyphered so far?