Security Installer Community

Galaxy Flex - Sounder Triggers With Tamper Even In Eng Mode

Hi,

I've been working on learning and installing a galaxy flex 50 in my new house. I've got most things working fine, including a RIO, RF portal, Ethernet module, 2 keypads and a bunch of detectors both wired and wireless (wireless for the couple of rooms I forgot to run cables into before sheeting the walls!).

I've just got a small issue with the external sounder:

Bell box - using the onboard outputs on the main panel connected to a Honeywell AG8 as follows:

panel      sounder

+12v        +

0v            -

T           TR-

OP1       S-

OP2       ST-

I was under the impression that when in engineer mode the sounder should not be set off by the tamper? I installed the box outside, but hadn't fitted the tamper screw and when connecting to the panel, despite being in engineering mode, as soon as I connected the +12v the sounder went off. Fitted the tamper screw to the box and then connected and it's fine. I can run a bell test or strobe test from the keypad and they work as expected. I've not yet moved the link on the sounder from test - battery - I assume this just connects the internal battery so allows it to sound if the supply from the panel is cut. The question is, how do I prevent the sounder from triggering when I have to open the box to move the link. Have I wired it correctly or is there something to change on the tamper configuration on the panel?

Also, we will be without power for a most of a day soon while the main distribution board is fitted - how long will the standard battery hold up a galaxy flex 50, and what happens once it runs down - will the sounder see the loss of even battery supply as a tamper and be activated with it's onboard battery?

Thanks in advance

R

I was under the impression that when in engineer mode the sounder should not be set off by the tamper? I installed the box outside, but hadn't fitted the tamper screw and when connecting to the panel, despite being in engineering mode, as soon as I connected the +12v the sounder went off. Fitted the tamper screw to the box and then connected and it's fine. I can run a bell test or strobe test from the keypad and they work as expected. I've not yet moved the link on the sounder from test - battery - I assume this just connects the internal battery so allows it to sound if the supply from the panel is cut. The question is, how do I prevent the sounder from triggering when I have to open the box to move the link. Have I wired it correctly or is there something to change on the tamper configuration on the panel?

Certain bells, such as Texecom, will not sound at all if they get 3 strobe flashes before being opened, but otherwise this is default behaviour for obvious reasons and cannot be stopped

Also, we will be without power for a most of a day soon while the main distribution board is fitted - how long will the standard battery hold up a galaxy flex 50, and what happens once it runs down - will the sounder see the loss of even battery supply as a tamper and be activated with it's onboard battery?

Without seeing the size, assuming 7aH, I'd still :argue: that's one way of shortening the life of a brand new battery - if you know the power will be off for that long, just disconnect the system completely for the day, one of the few privileges of looking after your own system.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I thought this bell won't sound unless you connect the +12v?

Disconnect bell for a while, then leave plus 12v to bell disconnected at panel, reconnect at bell end , move link , close all tampers at bell , ie close covers put screw in , then last reconnect +12v at panel end

Something like that

Thanks for the replies, I had assumed that was how to do it, but then I thought I saw a post on here somewhere referring to engineering mode disabling the tamper and allowing you to work on the bell without setting it off! I guess it must just be some panels/sounders/configurations?

Am I right in saying that once I remove the test link on the sounder to activate the onboard battery, the sounder will go off in the event of a power-cut and the panel battery becoming depleted?

On a related note, any issues with putting the alarm supply on a UPS? I'll have one for the server room anyway. It's never a good idea to run a UPS from a UPS, so just wanted to check no issues with a panel/battery being supplied by a UPS.

Thanks.

Regarding power cuts; The standby battery should take over to power the system in this event and the warning device should not sound.

a well looked after and serviced system shold never have that issue

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.