Security Installer Community

Transfer Of Engineer's Codes

We cancelled our contract with ADT (what a shambles of a company, at least at the domestic level) a year ago and transferred support to a local security company. The new service has been fine up till now when we need to program some new keytag fobs and re-program 4-button fob. The new company cannot program the fobs because they say they cannot get sufficiently deep into the system (Honeywell Galaxy 2-20). ADT refuse to release the engineer’s codes to the current company quoting data protection blah blah.

The kit does not belong to ADT, it’s ours. What right does ADT to hold onto to such essential information? ADT says it will send an engineer and charge us £225 (+VAT I suppose) for a few minutes work. In my view an ADT engineer should call, establish that we are bona fide owners of the system, release the codes to us and do so free of charge.

Edited by roger191141

The local company should be able to default the panel codes and reprogrammed it without the need for ADTs engineer code.

Thinking about it tho they don't need ADTs code to repgoram fobs that's done on the master manager level not engineers.

I also agree it's most likely that the fobs can be programmed with the master user code and not with the engineers code.

No decent company would release any engineers codes, they are company specfic and it could comprimise the rest of there customers.

They are within there right to charge a call out fee to change there engineers code for the ingoing company.

IMO the ingoing company should default the system and start the programming again.

We cancelled our contract with ADT (what a shambles of a company, at least at the domestic level) a year ago and transferred support to a local security company. The new service has been fine up till now when we need to program some new keytag fobs and re-program 4-button fob. The new company cannot program the fobs because they say they cannot get sufficiently deep into the system (Honeywell Galaxy 2-20). ADT refuse to release the engineer’s codes to the current company quoting data protection blah blah.

The kit does not belong to ADT, it’s ours. What right does ADT to hold onto to such essential information? ADT says it will send an engineer and charge us £225 (+VAT I suppose) for a few minutes work. In my view an ADT engineer should call, establish that we are bona fide owners of the system, release the codes to us and do so free of charge.

If your current company have been servicing the system for a year without the engineer code I'd be asking a few questions. 

There could also be the question that ADT own the intellectual rights to the programming of the system they did.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

I would never, ever give my engineering code to a customer, but would happily reset the code to default on demand (chargeable as appropriate based on response required) or during a service if the customer didn't want us to visit again.

Again, no decent co. will ever give out their own engineer codes, and would never agree to a 'shared code' on anything they are taking service or efficacy responsibility for.

Your company should have defaulted the system at day 1.

Edited by datadiffusion
customer not co

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

If your maintenance company can't default and reprogram a G2 / 20 you need to find a new maintenance provider that can.

My thoughts exactly, it's not the toughest panel to default also why do they need the engineer code to program fobs? Unless the master code has been lost but if it's residential chances are they only have 1 code

a year ago and transferred support to a local security company. The new service has been fine up till now when we need to program some new keytag fobs and re-program 4-button fob. The new company cannot program the fobs because they say they cannot get sufficiently deep into the system

oh dear...

Mr? Veritas God

All the adt galaxies i have taken ovet haven't been locked and its a straightforward procedure to reset the engineer code leaving the rest of the programming intact. If your new company cannot manage this on an industry standard panel serious questions need to be asked about their competancy to look after it. What happens if you get turned over and it fails to perform? Where about are you and we can recommend someone local and suitably experienced?

All the adt galaxies i have taken ovet haven't been locked and its a straightforward procedure to reset the engineer code leaving the rest of the programming intact.

Is it possible to lock Galaxy panels? I've certainly never encountered one. I thought that was a Scanny and Texe thing.

Is it possible to lock Galaxy panels? I've certainly never encountered one. I thought that was a Scanny and Texe thing.

I dont know tbh, my training was years ago. Never come across one that didn't reveal its secrets to me via the usual.