Security Installer Community

Eurosec Cp8L - Replacing Battery Without Eng Code

I've got an alarm on my house (installed by previous owners) that I've just ignored up until we got a power cut last night at 2am. You guessed it, as soon as the power went off the alarm started (and went on for over an hour until the power came back on, neighbours must love me...). The keypad was completely dead when the power was out.

Anyway it's a eurosec CP8L and a Texcecom Odyssey 3E. I've spent the day researching how to stop it happening again and it seems likely I just need to replace the battery in the control panel. It was last replaced in 2009 according to the receipt from the previous owner.

My question is, as I don't have the engineering code (at least I assume it was changed from default) what is going to happen when I remove the cover on the control panel, and what do I need to do then? I've read it's possible the installer configured it so the engineering code is needed to reset tampers, does that mean that the alarm will go on forever until someone enters the engineering code? I definitely DO NOT want that to happen when I open up the control panel!!!

BTW I don't have any means to get up high enough to reach the bell box itself (it's well above the upstairs windows, we have a very steep pitched roof), and given that it went on for over an hour I don't think it will switch itself off!

Thanks for your help.

Scott

Your external bell box should have timed out after 15 minutes, it needs replacing too. Ifyou cant reach the ewd(bellbox) then you need to get someone in, and that person can default the engineer code or the full panel for you.

As always it's recommended to contact an approved company for a service or the original installer if possible.

If you cause a tamper the user code will silence the alarm, which should be internal only as the system is unset.

If on engineer reset you will not be able to reset the system with the user code.

Also bear in mind that the engineer code can be locked, this means the panel will most likely need replacing anyway.

Your external bell box should have timed out after 15 minutes, it needs replacing too. Ifyou cant reach the ewd(bellbox) then you need to get someone in, and that person can default the engineer code or the full panel for you.

Timed out? With no hold off? Depends

If you cause a tamper the user code will silence the alarm, which should be internal only as the system is unset.

If on engineer reset you will not be able to reset the system with the user code.

So if on engineer reset does that mean I can still silence it with the user code, it's just I won't be able to use the alarm afterwards? Is there any way to tell if it's on engineer reset before I pull the cover?

Also in the manual for the external sounder it says it will stop after 15mins, but it definitely didn't. Maybe because it was on battery power?

Edited by sgb27

So if on engineer reset does that mean I can still silence it with the user code, it's just I won't be able to use the alarm afterwards?

Correct

Is there any way to tell if it's on engineer reset before I pull the cover?

I don't know the panel well, but I doubt it without the code to check in the menus.

Also in the manual for the external sounder it says it will stop after 15mins, but it definitely didn't.

There is a possibility it's faulty.

It possible the panel could have been re-triggering the sounders hold-off timer.

This will need testing when/if you get your system back running again.

Bear in mind the Council can get it removed if that happened while your away.

Maybe because it was on battery power?

No not really the modern systems have a timer in the sounder as well as the panel.

OK thanks for help guys, as I don't use the alarm I don't really want to pay a lot to fix something I don't want in the first place! I'll get a few quotes (the original company was a one-man-band and he's retired) and then decide what to do.

Ask for a price to decommission.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.