Security Installer Community

Galaxy Gold To Galaxy Rs232 Module Not Connecting

dwdave

What you want to do with it? The few zones you might use can all be programmed via the keypad , otherwise scccraap it in my opinion

I don't really like rss either for dimensions, although it's 100x better than gold , might be better of with texecom or a flex panel , or dimension for what your doing

I just like the ability to use it.

I am also playing around connecting one of the rios to a raspberry pi for use as an alarm signaller.

Reversing that system would allow me to shut it down in the event of a false alarm etc or to set it when she forgets to.

If anyone has one they are selling then get in touch.

If I got a dimension panel then I'd only be doing so for the comms route. Plus id need mk7/8 keypads, newer RSS and obviously I'd have to get a touch Centre.

'till the next question ...

Are you using a proper serial port or a RS232 to serial adaptor? I've had issues with RSS and cheap USB converters as half the pins aren't connected. It either doesn't connect, sits waiting to connect, or immediately disconnects.

Are you using a proper serial port or a RS232 to serial adaptor? I've had issues with RSS and cheap USB converters as half the pins aren't connected. It either doesn't connect, sits waiting to connect, or immediately disconnects.

I don't use Gals full stop, but I had endless problems with Downloader (Scanny) until moving to quality StarTech USB to Serials which means you get a genuine FDTI chipset not a chinese copy.

They also do one with 'com retention' which I haven't needed but assume it means same Com port every time, guaranteed. Obviously I seem to get that anyway hence no issues but guess that

if I had to use other, similar devices on the USB at the same time, the same port number might not be guaranteed.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Its a "proper"  serial port straight into the PC. I do have a USB>Serial adaptor which worked fine on the laptop.

Like I said, its worked fine for a few weeks and now it doesnt. It dropped its connection and cant seem to reestablish a handshake from the PC.

The Pi will use the alarm outputs to register on the GPIO pins, which in turn will read that pin and send a relevant email depending on the output fired. IE - Fire, Intruder, Panic or Duress. I hope to integrate a VoIP program too so that it can call out. But thats after I have taught myself Python.

Regarding lofts, 90% of our 1980/90 installations are in the loft. Still got 89% of the 9100/9200/9600/9800 going strong. Battery every 4 - 5 years.

My installation has been fine too with every bit of equipment in the loft where it was professionally installed. I do remotely monitor and get a fair range of temperature fluctuations, as to be expected, but nothing has been affected in years, batteries included. I couldn't justify the amount of room necessary to house it elsewhere unless it was a sound proofed dedicated room.

If going to the effort of reading outputs, then you're better using the opengalaxy project. At least you can exclude reading RIO pins and connect the Pi's serial port directly to get full zone/op status and SIA3 events if you want them.

I designed a daughterboard for the Pi that has rs232 to ttl and dc-dc 12v to 5v allowing the Pi to be placed in the panel. I wanted to use the Pi to serve the java virtualkeypad server that I wrote, but the Pi was a little too slow to run the app with SSL, so I shelved the project.

Edited by GalaxyGuy

If going to the effort of reading outputs, then you're better using the opengalaxy project. At least you can exclude reading RIO pins and connect the Pi's serial port directly to get full zone/op status and SIA3 events if you want them.

I designed a daughterboard for the Pi that has rs232 to ttl and dc-dc 12v to 5v allowing the Pi to be placed in the panel. I wanted to use the Pi to serve the java virtualkeypad server that I wrote, but the Pi was a little too slow to run the app with SSL, so I shelved the project.

Good comment re: SIA3 - and the reason that using a PI to read pins is OTT.

Galguy did the recent much upgraded Pi2 not re-strike your interest?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Galguy : Ive never programmed and I dont know what SIA3 or TTL is. This is my 1st Pi project more than just building a media player.

Also, I cant go from the Pi Serial Port as the galaxy doesnt have a serial port - not that works anyway.

Hence why it might be overkill just to read some pins, but its basic, which is what I understand!

For now though, I think that the RS232 board has had it and its an expensive upgrade to a Dimesion 96 when I bring in the associated keypads, RSS etc just to get serial functionality back.

Galguy : Ive never programmed and I dont know what SIA3 or TTL is. 

TTL is very basic electronics abbreviations 

For now though, I think that the RS232 board has had it 

I doubt it, probally a setting and they only like 1200 baud

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Galguy : Ive never programmed and I dont know what SIA3 or TTL is. This is my 1st Pi project more than just building a media player.

Also, I cant go from the Pi Serial Port as the galaxy doesnt have a serial port - not that works anyway.

Hence why it might be overkill just to read some pins, but its basic, which is what I understand!

For now though, I think that the RS232 board has had it and its an expensive upgrade to a Dimesion 96 when I bring in the associated keypads, RSS etc just to get serial functionality back.

Okay, I see that you now have a serial port. I agree after re-reading your posts that it's probably too advanced for you to be writing / modifying the SIA protocol based code. You'll still need to know how to convert levels on the RIO when connecting to the Pi. I think there are links on the older classic panels that you can cut in order to go open collector. It's that or you need to convert down to 3.3V.

DD, I didn't look at the new Pi, as the beagle black is a better solution. I just haven't had time to complete the code for the companion processors to emulate the ethernet module.