Security Installer Community

Pbx System

Nova-Security

Oh. I'm just playing with free-pbx now as it happens, using a Raspberry Pi 2.

I know there are multiple security holes to be filled, is there anything in particular that has bothered you enough to want to change?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Not really, but we used Trixbox 12 years ago and watched it develop then it became a commercial product only even though they said it wouldnt, freepbx seams to be going the same way with the modules since Sangoma bought them, i might be wrong though. 

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

I feel really behind the times as although I've been interested in VOIP for ages, the sheer amount of VOIP stuff being disposed of shows how mature the industry is.

No wonder Siemens offloaded the very business that got them to be where they are today.

I see what you mean, although everyone's guess is as good as any other I suppose.

3CX seems to have gained some traction but I've never tried it.

It will just be great for me to get the fully featured IVR that changes depending on whether I'm in the office or out,  day or night, etc... despite being a single user,

as all the cloud solutions wanted silly money based on the minimum price to get those features being the sorts of packages that were for 3-5 users.

That coupled with the fact that I've got an existing Gigaset 6 handset IP device (currently running standalone through he analogue port) means it should be good.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

The free 3CX version had some sort of silly restriction on the time feature I think, which is why I didn't go with it. I'm all for properly supported, paid versions but surely if you want to demonstrate something a 4 device, 1 trunk version could still have all the extended features to play with, but would be of little use to a growing business, or more likely to get upgraded, bringing future 3CX revenue, as the business grew, more like.

Been looking at 3cx but wondering if our current hardware would run windows good enough, i have seen desktop pcs with less, currently running freepbx on a supermicro intel atom dualcore (server grade) but when i have used windows on atoms at customers its a bit sluggish. 

Also looked at Elastix and PBX in a flash,  asterisk now.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

I've installed FreePBX a while back, but that's as far as it got.

Never actually set up it configured anything on it as I had not got a clue how to at the time.

I would like to get something sorted soon, better than what we have now.

Currently using E-Receptionist Virtual Pbx, which does everything at the minute at around £50 a month until I want to expand

Any suggestions welcomed

PSE, I would be happy to port you across an image of my working PBX - I'm currently at the 'playing' stage but you just can't go wrong when it runs

on a raspberry pi for £30.

Bascially, yes, it was a lot of hard work but at 4am this mornign (I'm not kidding) I finally got the SNOM phones to work and everything else

seems much, much easier.

The SNOM 300 can be had for abour £25 refurb and is a well made piece of kit, I would say don't be temped by the 'Chinese direct' unbranded £19 jobbies.

Snom support, in terms of the wiki and firmware seems superb. Building the IVR seems easy enough and as soon as I'm happy with the design I'll be off

to FIVERR to get some posh sounding bint to do proper ones.

Would be really appreciated mate,

I will take you up on that offer please,

I've already got all my recordings done from Fiverr by Peter Baker.

I will come back to you next weekend to arrange this if that's ok,

I'm currently away in Gran Canaria, not back until Sunday.

Thanks for the additional info, I'm off to eBay now

Make sure it's a Pi 2, not a B+ or a 'Version 2' as some slightly unscrupulous sellers are now listing the old ones!

The only thing I haven't got fixed yet is how to 'resize' the image (currently 4GB) into the full 8 or 16 GB sd card.

With PIAF you can use raspi-config option 1, easy, with FreePBX, for some god unbeknown reason (which is documented)

that doesn't work. I followed the 'manual resize' guide but ended up trashing the installation 1st time around so have left that alone for now.

But it's not exactly rocket science, apparently it's a doddle if you have access to another Linux system, so I will just burn off a Live CD for the laptop.

That said for call recording I am going to use an external USB thumb (when I owrk out how, but apparently it isn't hard, you just need to insert and root own it, 'chown' I think they call it.

I knew nothing about linux until this weekend - I had a pi before but just used it to run RISC OS.

Don't be tempted by cheap CISCO castoff VOIPs by the way, apparently they are very proprietary and they charge more than

the phone is worth for firmware download access.. That's just what I've read though.

I was going to use Peter (I noticed today he has now removed all traces of his real name form fiverr but still on there...) but for the phone

I thought a female voice would be better.

Edited by datadiffusion

I knew nothing about linux until this weekend - 

Just wait....... the bug will strike then you will be running unbuntu and WINE next.

Don't be tempted by cheap CISCO castoff VOIPs by the way, apparently they are very proprietary and they charge more than

the phone is worth for firmware download access.. That's just what I've read though.

Yep correct a bit of a pain at first, i like the phones and have three running well and they are well made

Polycom is very good stuff.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

Ah yes Polycom seems highly regarded...

It is but more price fixed than apple. Amazon have tons in stock and most likely at a regional warehouse near you for immediate dispatch :)

If its £29 its the right one!

You have 29 minutes to order for tomorrow (but that might be as were close to the cardiff depot) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Model-Desktop-Quad-Linux/dp/B00T2U7R7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433699319&sr=8-1&keywords=raspberry+pi+2

Also get a 8gb / 16gb micro sd card, although 4gb will do for playing about.

As you're not attatching silly things a PC USB A to micro cable might just do for a PSU, although any decent micro usb wall job will do.

Edited by datadiffusion

buy direct and support them https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/

It just redirects to Rs or Farnell. All the boxes are marked Farnell or RS anyway, I don't think they get any more or less cash regardless.

Whilst very cheap & even cheaper to run when I get around to doing the long over due "pbx tart up" I'll use a mirco server rather than a pii

Pi2 is now powerful enough to run W10 though - 4 times faster than the old one... Admittedly an odd / cumbersome form factor though.

Pi2 is now powerful enough to run W10 though - 4 times faster than the old one... Admittedly an odd / cumbersome form factor though.

did you not do the old desktop & download an asterisk based pbx imagine 1st ?

Mr? Veritas God

Used free pbx which is a complete ready to run build.

Tried compiling it myself but 2h in hit the wall when asterisk would start due to some missing pid file, another known issue apparently but the given fix didn't work.