Security Installer Community

Cisco 800 Series

So today I was going to port forward a dvr through said router. So IP config, default gateway of 20.1.1.254. Couldn't browse to to router. The dvr was rechable on lan, same gateway configured as laptop etc.

So what was I missing here? (Other than someone who knew what he was doing?)

Everyday is a learning day and all that :)

So what was I missing here? (Other than someone who knew what he was doing?)

A Cisco Certification :whistle:

How did you try to browse to the router?, was it via the web (I.E, Chrome etc) by any chance

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/800/software/configuration/guide/SCG800Guide.pdf

IIRC theres a console port in the back of the unit (light blue lead rg45-9 din pin) 

& also a web client software but (IIRC) the unit has to be enabled for web?

However if its cisco you'll probably find somebodies paid to manage it

Mr? Veritas God

IIRC theres a console port in the back of the unit (light blue lead rg45-9 din pin) 

& also a web client software but (IIRC) the unit has to be enabled for web?

However if its cisco you'll probably find somebodies paid to manage it

ah!

Yeah just tried surfing to it via IE/chrome (tried both), so that probably makes sense, especially as i couldnt reach any kind of page etc. 

* christ just looked at that manual, **** that, my scope ends with netgear......

Edited by 9651

It depends on which 800 series router it is as to whether http is enabled. We normally disable it after programming. Https is normally still available.

If you have a cable you can try programing it. I bet there's plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it.

If you have a cable you can try programing it. I bet there's plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it.

But be aware that if it's a Cisco router then it is probably there for a reason - and it's probably somebody's job to manage and secure it. They probably aren't going to take kindly to you fiddling with their router - in the same way that you wouldn't be best pleased if somebody started reprogramming your panel.

From the IP you provided I'd guess that this is a big site with outsourced IT support. You're unlikely to be able to port forward from the outside world onto your DVR due to the design of the network and the security lockdowns in place. I'd suggest talking to your customer and determining who manages that router and going though the proper procedure.

Worst case you get a ADSL line installed that is dedicated to the DVR.

From the IP you provided I'd guess that this is a big site with outsourced IT support. You're unlikely to be able to port forward from the outside world onto your DVR due to the design of the network and the security lockdowns in place. I'd suggest talking to your customer and determining who manages that router and going though the proper procedure.

Worst case you get a ADSL line installed that is dedicated to the DVR.

Exactly what I did!

Not for me to "mess with"

The site is small, but part of a large network so left well alone.