Security Installer Community

Access Points

I have a poor reception on the one end of my house, so going to either find a cheapy access point or see if i can find an old hh3 i have buried in the loft

Having never set one up, whats the best way? If i say used a BT HH3, could i cone the SSID and wireless key, change the channel disable dhcp and seamlessly wander round? ........... Or is it best to keep the SSID separate?

It a little project for tomorrow if i can dig one out

I have three all on different SSID I think its better kept that way I dont notice my pc swapping I guess I might notice on the Ipad but most of the time I have to tell it to use the wifi anyway

One has to have three, what with the stables and the servants quarters, obviously one has to make a charge, taken out of their wages, we're not a charity one knows.

lol :)

One has to have three, what with the stables and the servants quarters, obviously one has to make a charge, taken out of their wages, we're not a charity one knows.

We cant all have the luxury of Wifi throughout the house straight off the one router!

We cant all have the luxury of Wifi throughout the house straight off the one router!

So you admit charging the household?

When you connect is it like one of those hotspots where each family memeber enters its card details ?

I run 3 routers, 2 with dhcp turned off and not using the wan port, all with same ssid and password and all with fixed but different channels. Oh and static ip addresses outside of the dhcp pool.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Can confirm the above is a well documented and very cost effective solution.

EDIT:

At home, that is, for anything we sell I use proper APs, ubiquiti are good if you need wireless for any substantial reason.

Here for business I DO share the household Infinity but have a dual WAN router with '3' 3G card and giffgaff on the laptop.

Also just started using EE 4G at the new workshop and have to say v.impressed, metal shed yet infinity like speed.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I had a problem with wifi spoke to an IT guy and he suggested turn the wifi on the router off and get a Edimax access point, works great all round the house and even 200 yrds up the road. 

Used the same on jobs with flat panel aerials from building to building

Apparently edimax are the biggest makers of wifi stuff.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

No Just the consumer one, this one EW-7416APn think it was about £40 when i bough it, bought the newer one for the office and thats great.

Loads of different modes you can configure it as anything you want. 

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

I run 3 routers, 2 with dhcp turned off and not using the wan port, all with same ssid and password and all with fixed but different channels. Oh and static ip addresses outside of the dhcp pool.

Just set up me hh3 salve as above, connected via it now.

Easy. 

Nice one

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Virgin Media's dosent work in the next room 

I noticed that on a customers, I walked from the lounge to the kitchen, signal went from 5 to 0 and I was thinking WTF? Then noticed they had a repeater... Useless tat.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands