Security Installer Community

External Pirs To Connect To Ptz Cameras

joey

Hello

I'm an installer/service Eng for many years however I haven't had much call for installing PTZ cameras on a large scale.

I'm hoping someone can advise me for a new project I've been asked to quote for to install seven PTZ HD cameras on large open site that stores construction scaffold & machinery. The site is in the open with no night guards & is vulnerable from all angles.

I plan to install the PTZs on existing poles & my thoughts are to install 2-3 external PIRs at each PTZ so that when programmed the PTZs will track to the area that the PIR has triggered. Is this the way that I should proceed with my quote to install PIRs at each PTZ or are there better ways of planning this. Are there newer PTZ cameras with auto tracking?

If PIRs are the way to go can someone recommend a good PIR to install? I've install Redwall may years ago & they are very reliable however they are very costly.  

Additionally is it advisable to set up the DVR to email the client when the PTZs have picked up movement or is this a no no? I ask this question because the yard is not manned through the night & if there is a break in what is the deterrent? Would it be advisable to install Infra red beams & speakers to ward off would be thieves?

Thank you

I would say the solution depends on the risk assesment. On paper, this looks like a job for a properly monitored CCTV installation, ie through to an RVRC for an appropriate response and false alarm filtering.

The problem with having the system notifying the customer via email is that if you do go down the PIR route, they almost certainly will false alarm at least once or twice a night even if set up correctly and in quiet and "controlled" environments. Cats and foxes plus inclement weather and stuff blowing around the yard will all cause false activations and your customer will soon get fed up of being woken at 3am because there's a carrier bag blowing around the yard. The other issue is that email is not a particularly reliable method of communication. I certainly wouldn't rely on it in a situation like this as you could end up with egg on your face if it fails to notify.

Beams will certainly cut down the false alarm aspect but they're more labour intensive to install unless you go wireless. I would certainly be looking at offsite monitoring with audio challenge and beam detection if the site is as open as you say, but thats just my opinion. I'm sure others will add their 2p!

Trade Member

I agree with Antinode, Sounds very much like it should be a monitored system.

Regarding the PIR's I have found that you do get what you pay for, the GJD's are a good option, but i have always found that Redwalls and the Adpro Pro series are the best out there.  The main thing is trying to limit false alarms, especially if monitored, as this can become a major issue later on.

As for auto tracking, there are domes that have this as a built in facility (sony used to produce a system) but iMHO are a bit to easilly defated. However if there is a budget for auto tracking i would suggest looked at an analytics based system that isnt as easly bypassed.

Regarding the wiring, you would have an option with the PIR's as to how to wire them. The usual metod would be to go back to the head that the PIR system is controlling, however if the DVR has the feature of alarm mapping, taking the alarms back t the DVR first with the DVR sending the heads to preset postions can also be a very sucessfull configuration.

Hope this helps,

cheers,

Edited by DannyTheTech