Security Installer Community

Placing Resistors

Arf-Gef

Hey Guys,

I have a few newb questions.

Firstly,do I only need to put resistors at each sensor (EOL setup)?  I’ve read the manual, but it doesn’t specify this… :( (I’m about to use a Satel Versa 10 panel.)

Or is there other places in an alarm system where resistors should be put?

Am I right thinking I need 1 resistor, in series, at the furthest part from the panel (for example in the housing of each sensor)?

Which wire should have the resistance? (The Alarm one, in this case it’s called „NC&C”(?) NC&C both signyfy that no R is needed don't they? ) If it’s a combined sensor (PIR & glass breaking) then do both NC&C inputs need a resistance added at the end of the wire?

What if the sensor has an input called „EOL”? Does that mean that the resistance is included and no need to add one to that input or that i need to put the wire with resistance into that input.

Secondly, what resistance should I use? I heard of using 3.3k Ohm, DSC panels use 5.6 kOhm AFAIK others 2k2... Is that specified with each brand/panel? Is smaller resitance better?

It’s mostly to learn and for DIY fun, so that’s why such a newb doesn’t get professional help.( Introduction )

Thank you very much for your help, I am getting quite confused, as you may have noticed :D

Edited by Arf-Gef

Hi Arf

There is a clue in the name, End of Line, the resistors should go at the end of every circuit. The panel is looking for a resistance coming back on the circuit, one resistance for open circuit and a different resistance for closed circuit. Its to stop potential sabotage of the system whilst its in day mode, i.e system disarmed someone comes along and cuts the wire or shorts the wire, thinking that the system will still arm but wont go off when they break in when the system is armed. Of course as soon as they tamper with the wire the system will activate armed or not.

I know, I was supreised...
Does the wide range has any significance? (I mean does that mean sth apart from being flexible when it comes to EOL resitances :D )
I was wondering whether it's better to put in a big or a small resistance.

First decide on panels or panel your going to use , some allow different values on each zone some are fixed values for the particular panel

Then you will see what value is best

On an electronics point of view, I assume lower values example 500ohms may make things difficult to detect, faults tampers etc hence why higher values are used or no resistor with seperate tamper loop

Experts may correct me here

I found out what resistors value is recommended. In case someone needs it in the future: it's supposed to be between 500 Ohm and 15 K Ohm.

depends on the panel but its prescribed. highest value i knew of castle with 13k. id assume you have misread?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Just for fun :) When you find what values are expected by the control panel and usually the correct resistors are supplied with the panels to be put in the detectors, check that the detectors that you are using have or have not already got the resistors built into them. If they have check that the appropriate value is selected by fitting the link/s to the correct values and of course if they have got the resistors built in you will nor require the ones that came with the panel.

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

depends on the panel but its prescribed. highest value i knew of castle with 13k. id assume you have misread?

Nope :)

I just re-cheked to be sure. Satel Versa installer manual version 1.03 pg19 (Chapeter 3.6) (In case you find an english version)

The value of closing resitance in EOL and 2EOL loops is programmable between 500 Ohm and 15KOhm.

I'd snap a picture but it's not in english.

@Yeti: Thanks for the insight :)

@Vince: Mine didn't include any resistors, but I called satel and it's supposed to have included 2.2k Ohms 5% ones and 1.1k Ohms 5% ones. So I think I'll go with those.

Why two types btw? Now I'm confuesd again: goes in the PIR in eol? :D Or is it just so I can wire up 2 in one zone with different resitance values?

Edited by Arf-Gef

I see
Not sure on the answer to your question  TBH, I'm only at the very beginning of the learning curve. All I know is what I gathered from Satel's site, descriptions and the manuals. :)

The only other place I found resistance values in the installation manual is where it describes that with CA-64 E and CA-64EPS  types of zone expansion sets I should use the 1.1 Ohm in dEOL and 2.2 in EOL setup, but not mention of what should be used apart from the afore mentioned wide gap.

It looks  like a) you can program the resistor values for wireless detectors and b) for hard wired you use the resistors provided. Using the values given for the different configuration.

The fig 27 is the one that I would choose and the resistor values are the same for both the tamper and the alarm i.e. 1.1K    therefore R1 and R2 are both 1.1K

The different values that you are given is because they show another configuration in fig 26 where only one resistor is used and the value of that is 2.2K

And the fun part :)

All VERSA series control panels ensure very easy programming and activation. This results from well-thought-out factory settings and clear programming menus displayed on LCD screens. Additionally, VERSA control panels may be even more easily programmed by means of a computer operating the DLOADX program supported by Windows operating systems

My personal view is that despite the technological advances made in the wireless alarm industry I am so old fashioned that I would never touch one with a barge pole, except for fun and entertainment value :)

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Just a comment on the wide range of resistance values the below quote should clear it up

SATEL
VERSA
Notes
:
The sum of values programmed for the resistors R1 and
R2 may not be lower than 500
or higher than 15
k
In case of the zone expander, it is possible to program the value 0 for the resistor R2. The
2EOL
wiring type
requires that two resistors be used, each having resistance equal to half
the value defined f
or the resistor R1.
In the EOL
wiring type
, the resistance value is equal to the sum of values programmed for

the resistors R1 and R2

To put it another way A reading of less than 500 ohms will give a short circuit tamper and a reading of over 15K will give a high resistance tamper.

Oh, now I think I udnerstand why you said it looks like a sales pitch.

I've been asking about satels because I got a satel panel with sensors and I'm curious about them. And as I learn more and more I sometimes run into questions, and if I can't find the answer I ask it :)
I don't recommend satels, I don't not recommend them. I'm curious because I wish to learn more by reading up and playing with the panel.

Plus why would it be a sales pitch? I don't think a newbie asking questions about it is the best way to advertise a product :D :D