Security Installer Community

Dectector For Stairs.

Hello all.

I'm hoping that you can help me with a choice of detector for a stairway.

What I am looking for ideally is something that is quite small and that will vertically emit either a single or curtain beam across a standard (closed) domestic stairway.

I have thought about using a standard PIR with a curtain beam lens but would ideally want something a bit smaller / neater with a flatter profile that would make it much less likely to come into contact with anyone (particularly children) when using the stairway. 

It has to be hard wired and its only purpose would be to trigger the entry / exit timer when coming downstairs (usually in the morning) to allow the keypad to be accessed as it is in the main living room at the bottom of the stairs which is protected by a ceiling mounted PIR programed as timer inhibited.

I have used pressure pads in the past but they have proved to be a bit hit and miss after regular use and would much rather avoid them if possible. 

Thank you in advance, Dave Walton.

Any PIR with look-down such as a Siemens mounted at the ceiling?

Or is the issue that you don't want it triggered from the landing at night?

Had no idea anyone used pads after 1980!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Thanks for the reply.

Landing is not an issue as the stairs turn at the top onto an enclosed landing that is not in the view of the stairs.

I can't / don't want to mount anything on the ceiling as the wiring has already been run and emerges from the newly plastered wall about half way up the stairs with approximately 1mt of spare cable.

Regards, Dave Walton.

Any PIR with look-down such as a Siemens mounted at the ceiling?

Or is the issue that you don't want it triggered from the landing at night?

Had no idea anyone used pads after 1880!

Corrected :)

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

I think you're looking for the Visonic Clip-4N, which is a miniature curtain PIR. It's about 3" tall and an inch or so wide. Should do the job, but they are fiddly to install!

Thanks very much, I've just had a look at the install / spec PDF and it looks like it would be perfect.

Next questions are, where might I get one and how much would it cost me ?

Regards, Dave Walton.

Does anyone have or know of someone who might have one of these Visonic Clip-4N detectors for sale ?  (New or used)

Edited by Dave Walton

I thought they were obsolete

I honestly wouldn't know.

I would happily buy a second hand / used unit if anyone has one or knows someone who might have one lying around somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I would happily buy a second hand / used unit if anyone has one or knows someone who might have one lying around somewhere, so come on guys, I'm banking on you to come good for me here, surely someone connected with the good folk of The Security Installer might know someone who may possibly have an old / unused one lying around in the depths of their van / toolbox / storeroom  or somewhere.

Regards, Dave Walton.

Not me, sorry :(

U

You might want to post in Wanted section if you haven't already?

Or you can if you're trade (and apply for trade meantime) anyway that is.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands