Security Installer Community

Preconfigure A Texecom Premier Elite 24-W

Or 'House' or 'Surname'.

Yes, I did that. It still shows Area A at points though, especially if it went into an alarm condition. As she'd old, there's a fair chance that will happen despite going over many times, the potential routes into the house and configuring the system in a rather tolerant manner without reducing the protection too much.

She didn't like much about it to be honest. The tones it made, the "tiny" LCD on a "huge" RKP. I spent most of the day defending the kit before I lost interest.

I will say though, I do a number of jobs where the zone count is fairly small (<15) and partitioning really isn't needed. It's a shame I couldn't code this out. 

Auto Reset?

Use a Large screen keypad?

Change the keypad tones?

Never had an issue explaining the Area thing to customers, they're normally pleased it has the potential to arm the garage separately.

Has no effect on the operation really, sounds like the customer had made there mind up before it was installed.

Auto Reset?

Use a Large screen keypad?

Change the keypad tones?

Never had an issue explaining the Area thing to customers, they're normally pleased it has the potential to arm the garage separately.

Has no effect on the operation really, sounds like the customer had made there mind up before it was installed.

Did all that, thought it would help too. 

I told her I was fitting the large text screen - I was then accused of calling her blind. Just because she'd old blah blah ...

There's nothing wrong with the kit I used - I think the size of the RKP put her off initially, and then the "mess" on the screen with the areas etc tipped her over the edge.

I hate picky customers. There's next to no margin in it for two days of hassle.

Agreed, this would be a good feature in that setup - but she didn't want the house zoning other than omits for upstairs at night time so I wasn't able to sell that to her.

I was just never going to win I fear.

Sorry but I would walk away, If customer is pedantic about 'area a', then god knows what will follow.

This seems extreme but, it's why on domestics at least, I always take a demo unit and detector samples.

No-one can say they 'didn't know what it would be like' that way.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Outcome is one highly miffed customer.

As instructed, I had to remove the perfectly working new panel. Thankfully I had pushed the existing pir cables back into the ceiling and covered by the new pir, I was able to use some thin pliers to pull the cables back into play. Re-wired, re-zoned and commissioned. 

She was happier than when we'd shown her the new system, but I soon wiped that smile off her face when she saw the bill. She was somewhat annoyed with me because I had the audacity to charge her for the time I spent installing and commissioning of the new one, and then the old one again. 

Needless to say, there's now a marker on that customer and we will not be returning. Got her to sign a form stating we are not providing any form of warranty on the old kit we have had to replace which added to the already impressive bulldog-chewing-a-wasp face that she'd been pulling.

The new system has been re-coded this afternoon, and is out to a new customer tomorrow. 

Thanks again, to everyone here for the assistance in getting my head round the learning/mesh networking.